Acer V3-571G owner thread

Discussion in 'Acer' started by wkbag, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuronex

kuronex Newbie

Reputations:
    anyone tried the new BIOS?

I'm currently on 1.13 and I'm thinking of upgrading to 2.x version of the BIOS and I'd love to hear from people who have done it.

I've got the i7 3630QM and GT 640M variant of the 571G and I'm running Windows 8x64

I sometimes have the issue of the laptop completely freezing for some 10-20-30 seconds. Doesn't happen too often but it does and it's annoying.
    Also, could anyone tell me about their normal temperatures? My laptop runs at around 57*C when just browsing the internet (balanced power settings).

2. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All temps you get are normal , but you won't be able to flash the new bios with the native flash program if you have 1.13 now.
    You have to force it in DOS mode and you won't go back to 1.13 anymore if needed..

3. kuronex

kuronex Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay, I'm still on the 1.13 BIOS but lately I've been experiencing some serious freezing issues.
    When the laptop seems under I/O load, it seems prone to freezing and then waking up with some beeping noises which is concerning.

I am still under warranty, so maybe I should go let it get checked out?

Anyone else experiencing freezing issues with their 571G at all?
    Really kinda concerned... / :

edit: Also, really a serious question, would I gain some stability fixes or anything from upgrading to 2.x BIOS? They are newer so there must be something getting upgraded there.
    I don't really care about messing with the advanced options of the BIOS so, would I have anything to gain?

4. wkbag

wkbag Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, Acer didn't provide change log to different Bios versions, so we don't now what is new / fixed in each version. but since there are newer version it is a safe bet to install latest version to check if it'll resolve freezing problem.
    currently I'm using the new version V. 2.17

5. kuronex

kuronex Newbie

Reputations:
    Bit the bullet and updated to version 2.15, a same that my friend has. Fast testing revealed increased performance in LoL and Dota 2 with lower temperatures.
    Usually temps were at around 95, now they kept under 90, which is an improvement. I'll still get a coolingboard for the lappy soon.

So... To bite another bullet and update to 2.17? :D

6. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How did you do this? I mean - upgrading from 1.x to 2.x bios?

7. kuronex

kuronex Newbie

Reputations:
    I used this guide: Catch Tito...: How to update to 2.x bios from 1.x bios (applicable for Acer\eMachines\Gateway\Packard Bell)

I just opened the .exe in a hex editor (in my case notepad++ with a hex-editor plugin) and edited it.

Updated to 2.17 now. Hex editor is no longer needed since I am already on v2.x bios. Seems like even battery lasts longer with the newer BIOS (used to get nearly 4 hours with power-saver, just browsing internet. Now it shows about 5 hours of battery left)

I didn't need to reinstall windows, since I am running Legacy BIOS at the moment, but I will soon reinstall to benefit from the UEFI boot and so forth.

edit: Nifty trick I read from another forum (I did a lot of research before trying this out). To disable secure boot in UEFI mode, you have to set a password (I think it was supervisor password? Not a user password but the other option). Once you have set a password, you can disable secure boot.

8. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do I need to reinstall my current Windows 7 after applying this update?
    I did'n get it about the password, could you explain me a bit more, please?

9. kuronex

kuronex Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't think you have to. I am not sure. If you stay in the Legacy BIOS mode.

UEFI features a thing called Secure Boot, which blocks installing other OS's. It can be disabled by setting a BIOS supervisor password and the disabling it.

10. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So basically all I need to do is after installing 2.17 and upon the first restart - just to enter in the new bios and to set Supervisor's password which will allow me to disable the secure boot, am I right?
    Then my Win 7 will start just fine?

EDIT:

Ok, I pulled the trigger and did it:)
    All went smooth, lower 3DM 06 scores , but higher 3DM11;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.