Acer V3-571G owner thread

Discussion in 'Acer' started by wkbag, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @wkbag
    Thanks for the photo,my friend!
    Because it is not very visible on the picture, can you confirm that the screen is a bit darker on the right down corner?
    I replaced two already (backlight bleeding and bad pixels) and every one of them was a bit darker on right-side..

2. wkbag

wkbag Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, mine also a bit darker on the right down corner.

3. alondite6

alondite6 Newbie

Reputations:
    Those are some amazing speeds. I have the same laptop but the Windows 8 version. I can bypass the +135 limit using Nvidia Inspector and bat files I made, having a stable 988/1075. I'm wondering if there's a vbios mod for the Windows 8 version? It would definitely help to tinker around with some advanced options. Btw, my bios version is 2.15.

4. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oh, exciting! I just spent all day researching this same idea. :rolleyes:
    Anyways, no, that's not possible for us since we're on bios v2.x, it's only possible on bios 1.x.

If your laptop came preinstalled with windows 7, then bios 1.x comes preloaded.
    If your laptop came preinstalled with windows 8, then bios 2.x comes preloaded.

You can only upgrade from v1 to v2 (though this is only possible if you hex edit the v2 installer since it's not officially supported), any attempt at downgrading from v2 to v1 is met with errors and there are no workarounds.

This is important because you can only flash to the unlocked bios with advanced options if you're already running 1.x. It's super easy, just run the modified bios installer.

If you try to run the modded v1 installer while your computer is running v2 then you simply get the same errors you'd get if you were downgrading. If you instead modified the v2 installer so that it flashed the unlocked v2 bios and tried using that then you'd run into problems again, with secure boot and all that jazz. It seems many people have tried to work around this but nothing so far.

(For anyone with firmware 1.x, you can grab the unlocked 1.13 bios firmware here: [Request] Acer Aspire V3-571G, Bios 1.11 )

If you're interested, I've got a bunch of links saved that might be useful.

I'm actually very interested in doing the same thing - if you happen to know where to get the LVDS cable or a reputable place to order the screen (given that upgrading this screen is even possible) from please do share.

At this point I'm just wondering about the pin configurations and how all that works out. The default 768p screen has a 30-pin connector at the back side but the 1080p screen has a 40-pin (I think?) that appears to be on the bottom, and of course I've got no idea how many pins are on the motherboard side of that cable... (I counted ~40 using the picture inside the service manual, but that was really pixelated)

5. wkbag

Reputations:
    Acer added driver support for windows 8.1:
    Acer | Download

I actually updated to 8.1 and had to reinstall bluetooth driver to get it to work, Elantech touchpad seems to have better driver (resolved over sensitivity issue), lastly, both Intel and Nvidia drivers are old versions.

6. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Is itpossible this V1.13 installer to brick my laptop? I am on official 1.13.
    And what is the way if I want to go back to the original one?

7. wkbag

Reputations:
    Acer released new Bios V.2.17

8. mirage_bg

mirage_bg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, but it isn't possible to upgrade it if you are on 1.XX bios.
    2.X bioses are only for machines with preinstalled Win8...
    Very stupid ...

9. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It should be possible in theory, I've about read people confirming that the modded bios works but I haven't seen anyone say that it bricked their laptop. I think you're relatively safe, but of course there's some inherent danger when you do things like this.

For the record, I've tried flashing my bios from official 2.14 down to modified 1.13 and the laptop went dark, but it automatically detected something was wrong and reloaded the factory bios - so I think (though I may be wrong) bricking it takes some effort. And of course if your warranty hasn't expired you could send the unit back for repair.
    (Third option is some crisis utility disk that's mentioned in the hardware manual but no one knows anything about it.)

As I noted, it should be possible for you to upgrade to 2.x.
    Doing this isn't officially supported but someone made a guide for it here ( Catch Tito...: How to update to 2.x bios from 1.x bios (applicable for Acer\eMachines\Gateway\Packard Bell) ), though I'm not sure which 2.x bios he modified to get it working. To be clear, no hardware issues are stopping you from upgrading to 2.x, but acer and insyde have made the bios utility prevent you from doing so anyways to avoid potential issues (confirmed in acer forums).

When you upgrade to 2.x, you are stuck on it because 2.x implements secure boot (which is just here to bother us) - so I recommend that if you're going to 'upgrade' your bios: to not use 2.x and instead flash to the modified 1.13 version I linked to earlier since this one lets you play with hidden advanced settings like fan control/clock speeds.

10. wkbag

Reputations:
    New Bios V. 2.17

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.