Acer TimelineX 3830/4830/5830 T/G

Discussion in 'Acer' started by lee_what2004, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nedemai

Nedemai Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    All the mods, all one easy to find spot. I'm leaving this for a month... maybe longer and then I'm taking it all down. Grab them now, mirror them, heck do whatever you like. USE AT OWN RISK. I AM NOT providing any support.

2. Yuna

Yuna Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  3. ajnauron

ajnauron Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, it really annoys me that the fan is CAPABLE of running faster than it normally does at full load, like during a BIOS flash. I wonder why there's two max fan speeds like that.

4. Nedemai

Nedemai Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I remember reading at some point it might be possible to edit the DSDT to change the behaviour of the fan. When I started looking into it I got frustrated and had decided it would be easier to just do a hardware mod.

5. Yuna

Yuna Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Umm, DSDT? You mean edit APCI bios table?

6. Freezing

Freezing Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lovely, the bottom hinge cover on the left side fell off on my laptop.

[​IMG]

The hinge cover plastic is glued to the back cover, which snapped off.

[​IMG]

So this is what it's supposed to look like. See how it's all connected on one piece?

[​IMG]

Seen it happen to two of my friend's 3830TGs, not surprised mine happened. To get access to it, just take the front bezel off (two screws and then just clips).

Probably going to get some glue on it and see if it holds. Such a poor design, no way to just replace the small cover. :(

EDIT: Superglue worked, although not really the best solution in my opinion.

Attached Files:

7. danio0106

danio0106 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, Im an owner of Acer 5830TG, I ve got this huge issue, When Im playing any game at all at start everything is doing great 60+ fps at Diablo 3, looking great and smooth, 10 minutes later suddenly 3-5 fpses, i suppose what happens then is just my Nvidia Graphics Card suddenly turns off and switch back to Intel HD Graphics, im checking the temperatures and they re not higher than 60-65 degress both on GPU and CPU, after a while of playing at 5 fpses temperatures goes back to 45-50 and my Nvidia is running again so I have 60 fpses again, I don't know why thats happening, but it makes most of the games unplayable and I really want to fix it. I installed newest drivers - didnt help, i changed paste and cleaned everything including fans - didnt help, i just downloaded modded BIOS 0.85v - still nothing. I really need help.
    So please anyone?

8. Tokp Lotas

Tokp Lotas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You have throttling issues. This issue can be "fixed" with ThrotleStop (TechPowerUp). You can override automatic turbo mode and force to 18-22x the cpu multiplier. You can loss some fps but much less than auto.

9. GoHack

GoHack Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

Well my cooling fan is about to crap out in my 4830TG-6430. I ordered a new one on ebay.

I haven't had any issues w/my laptop up to this point, when it comes to heat, but when I do open the laptop up in order to replace the fan, I will replace the Thermal Compound.

Another thing I'm thinking about, is to remove the black paint, which is certainly preventing any decent heat transfer from happening. If anywhere, it will be at the radiator end, next to the cooling fan, being careful not to damage the thermal tape.

The cpu that I have, is the i5-2430M, 2.4/3.0 GHz, which is a 35 watt model. I'm thinking about buying a i7-2620M, 2.7/3.4 GHz, off of ebay. It too is a 35 watt CPU, so heat shouldn't be an issue w/it.

I've had the laptop for some three years now, and love it. It's the perfect size and weight for me, and still support gaming. I'm tempted to upgrade, but haven't decided on what to upgrade too, since I haven't found anything like it. I've been looking at a Lenovo Y40, but it has an AMD Radeon R9 M275 GPU, and an HP Envy 14T, w/a Nvidia 850M GPU. They both come w/an Intel i7-4510U CPU, which is only dual core w/HT, and is soldered in. I like the Lenovo Y40 black carbon fiber finish case a whole better than I do the HP all silver case.

Finally, will my Acer 4830TG-6430 laptop support 16 GB memory max? I presently have just 8 GB. The CPU specs say that it will support up to 16 Gb.

Thanks.

P.S. - Are the modified BIOS's still available anywhere? What is modified in them?

10. dzid_

dzid_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Although it is also 35W TDP, it will generate more heat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.