Acer TimelineX 3830/4830/5830 T/G

Discussion in 'Acer' started by lee_what2004, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lastnikita

lastnikita Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Seems fine to me. Mine usually goes up to 90+°, but I guess the cpu you speak about is an i3 ?

Makes me think I've attached gpu first, then cpu.
    Next time I'll try the other way around..

2. mrlanrat

mrlanrat Newbie

Reputations:
    It is the I5, it should be running at 2.X Ghz

3. lastnikita

Reputations:
    see through the thread, you need throttlestop.
    it is usually the gpu temp which makes cpu throttle.

4. rbl_posse

rbl_posse Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    To follow up on the debate as to whether or not you can use an ES processor with this notebook, I have been assured by an eBay seller that the i5-2520M ES Q17N does in fact work with no issues in this notebook, and that a few users have upgraded their 3830TG with no problems.

For someone with an i3 struggling with the 85C limit, this would make a nice upgrade. Given the compatibility of the Q17N ES, I'd be willing to bet the other ES dual cores are in fact compatible.

5. greatpolaris

greatpolaris Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what temps are you getting? are you using multipliers with TS?
    everything stable so far?

6. shadvich

shadvich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To anyone else with a 3830tg - how much power is your system taking at 25% brightness, wifi on, cpu idle with power save on? I get 13.7W from throttlestop. Just want to see what everyone else is getting.

7. lastnikita

Reputations:
    I don't know why, it doesn't display using batterycare right now.
    Maybe because I messed with EC..... Does someone know if I can get it back to defaults via BIOS (re)flashing ?

But on a 4830tg (so 14"), I'm getting around 7W discharge rate under the conditions you stated.

ps: you'd have to choose between 20% & 30% for the screen, you can't put it @25% ;)

edit: just noticed you said "using throttlestop". I believe it will only tell you your cpu consumption (mine is 3-4W), so your whole power drainage is even higher !

8. lastnikita

Reputations:
    just opened the back cover to switch wifi antenna cables, thought it might make a difference since I had difficulties with wifi when on eco mode: didn't make any change..

But now batterycare is displaying my battery discharge rate again (could simply be the reboot that cured it), BUT my battery percentage dropped instantly from ~90% (before I opened) to 20% when I powered on after the operation.... really strange !!

Question to 2nd HDD via optical bay users :

Does yours work fine ?
    I can hear mine stops/restart every few seconds on a regular basis, dunno why, maybe my bay isn't working that well :-/
    edit: Maybe this is a power saving feature from acer, which is originally aiming at the optical drive ?

Any idea how to test this ?

9. Arklight

Arklight Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What games would cause the 3830tg to throttle.. I havent experienced any of it and I want to test this throttling thing.

10. greatpolaris

greatpolaris Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    try any modern games like left 4 dead etc with gpu enabled, your temps will easily climb up with turbo on and eventually it will downclock to 1200 mhz your frames will slow down dramatically... that's why you gotta use throttlestop to stop this from happening, get yarself a notebook cooler and your life would be saved :p .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.