Acer TimelineX 3830/4830/5830 T/G

Discussion in 'Acer' started by lee_what2004, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
    The Core i5 is just 2 cores with 4 threads.
    Core i7 Quad core (not i7 2620M) has 4 cores 8 thread.

2. greatpolaris

greatpolaris Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    the download link for TS 3.40 doesn't work :( .

3. lastnikita

lastnikita Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sure, should be the same.

Oh, ok, you're talking about hardcore o/c.
    Didn't think of that since we're on laptops, got it now :)

4. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Could this have been what caused my overheating issues? It started getting worse around when I updated I think.

5. greatpolaris

greatpolaris Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I doubt it this laptop overheats the same i been using TS since 3.00 and 3.20, you definitely need a laptop cooler and not use Turbo mode when you game with gpu on.

6. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nah man, never had a bit of a problem the first 2 weeks I had the laptop. Played Crysis 2 for 3 hours sometimes, TF2 1/1.5 hours, temps never above 94C. This is with a GPU overclock and no laptop cooler crap. Then suddenly they start spiking to 99C and then BAM one day I get a shutdown and it's never quite the same :(

7. bulldozer_fusion

bulldozer_fusion Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ok,i send my laptop back to acer today
    i will tell you if they replace the battery with a sanyo or an another panasonic

8. aintz

aintz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thankfully i never have to worry about battery wear (even though mines still at 0 after 3 discharges) since i never keep my laptops for more than a year at longest.

and the only way i can get my temps to 90+ is if i block the vent. after long hours of gaming my temps are never past 80 generally around 77 depending on how hot my room is.

9. mrlanrat

mrlanrat Newbie

Reputations:
    Heatless, or anyone else who re-applied the thermal paste.

I just opend up my laptop and removed the heatsink and re-applyed the thermal paste. I agree that the thermal pate that was origionally on there was not applyed very well. And after cleaning it and putting on some thermal paste that I had lying around I did notice an improvement for a while. The CPU would stay at 2.6Ghz at 60C. However after playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for 10 minutes the CPU was up to 78C and was staying clocked at 1.2Ghz.

I fear I may not have put the thermal paste on correctly. (In the past I've usually used heatsinks that com with the "pad".) Can anyone explain exactly what it should look like when applied correctly?

Or, could it be that the thermal paste I used is not very good?

Thanks!

10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The Acer engineers that don't understand how to build an adequate cooling solution is the biggest problem.

If your temperatures suddenly go way up in a short period of time, that's usually a sign that the heatsink is not firmly attached to the CPU like it should be. Some laptops are poorly designed so users have to do their own engineering to improve the cooling system.

If you are using ThrottleStop, I wouldn't be running my CPU over 95C. That's too hot and is getting too close the Intel designed thermal throttling point. Try using a lower multiplier if you are running this hot and you should redo your thermal paste if their is a sudden change. Make sure the room temperature is consistent when making comparisons.

If you ever replace a thermal pad with thermal paste, you have to make sure that the contact pressure between the heatsink and CPU stays the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.