1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Acer TimelineX 3830/4830/5830 T/G

Discussion in 'Acer' started by lee_what2004, Feb 6, 2011.

1. mavo82

mavo82 Notebook Consultant

When browsing, I speak of CPU temp of course, as no GPU is involved.

When playing Quake II i mean CPU and GPU. The throttling starts at 85°C GPU with the latest bios update.

2. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Notebook Consultant

Yes, I did a warranty claim and they replaced the battery (Old: Panasonic. Replacement: Sanyo) for free.
    Just send to ACSC (Acer Customer Service Center) and show them the Battery Wear in BatteryBar and Battery Care (I recommend both of them).

Almost two weeks when I did it, but it takes that long because they didn't have the replacement battery, since the 3830TG just launched one month before I send in to ACSC..
    Don't forget to say them not to replace the battery with Panasonics..

3. mavo82

I don't think so. The first time they didn't even unpack it! I wrote around 10 mails to the support demonstrating them I'm not considering to work with a faulty device and want to get my money back. In big enterprises, it takes some time to get a qualified contact person. The first 4 mails are always a waste of time. They told me over and over that my "problem" was no problem at all, but perfectly normal, so getting my money back won't be possible. I phoned to my store and they told me I had to send the laptop in for 2 or 3 times, then they might give me my money back if the problem is not resolved. So I decided to go the hard way now, as Acer support cannot really help me.

4. bulldozer_fusion

bulldozer_fusion Notebook Enthusiast

40% wear bravo u win :D
    i hope they send me a sanyo and don't re-send me a panasonic battery
    panasonic battery sucks !

ok thankx for the info,2weeks for that + 1 weeks to they give my money back for the operating system (licence windows) damn almost 1 month !

5. Cpt. Yesterday

Cpt. Yesterday Notebook Guru

So I was just playing BC2 for about 15 minutes, about 3-4 minutes in cpu temps reached 80 and it throttled down to a 13 multiplyer and stayed there while temps stayed steady at 69/65. No idea what gpu temps were at, throttlestop doesn't seem to show them automatically. This was with an external display hooked up and thottlestop on that showing temps.

I have no idea what aintz uses to check throttling, but this is the same model as his, so he might be missing something.

quite disapointed

edit: I also have the rear propped up about 2 inches to allow air flow

6. rcm_rx7

rcm_rx7 Notebook Enthusiast

I have to prop up the rear as well. I also removed the mesh covers over the vents today to see if it helped, I didn't notice any difference in BC2. I have to set the multiplier at around 14 to stay at stable temps in BC2, even then sometimes the video starts to cut out and flicker because of GPU temps, it's quite frustrating. I'm guessing the paste job on mine is pretty bad, because this thing cannot handle BC2 worth a damn. Oh well.

7. Cpt. Yesterday

I had my multiplier at 18 or 19 (cant remember) and temps didn't go above 82, then I upped it to 20 multiplier, temps hit 85 and she shut down. GPU temps didn't go above 78.

Game was set to mostly medium, think it had high textures.

Kinda disappointed. Don't know if I should return it or rip it apart and try to reapply thermal paste or return it.

8. rcm_rx7

I'm in the same boat, I'm contemplating tearing down further, or maybe just return it. I ordered a Cooler Master X2 cooler, but I doubt it's going to help much. I'll give it a try, then decide what to do. When I ran at 18 the first night I had the laptop, I hit 100 with the cpu and shut down. Now if I don't keep the multiplier at around 14 it heats up my GPU too much and I get weird graphical glitches. I'm able to keep CPU temps at ~80 and GPU ~73 with that setup.

9. Cpt. Yesterday

I just played about 20 minutes (single player) with 18 multiplier and max cpu temp was 79 and max gpu temp 73.

Would the i5 have higher temperatures then the i3 at the same multiplier?
    If the i3 didn't have a stupid 85C thermal throttle from intel, I could probably run at 21 multiplier and stay below 100.

But for $599 I don't think I can get a better deal when it comes to size, battery life, portability, and power

10. mavo82

With the core i5, x19/20 runs stable at 90-95°C. However, I use a dual profile setup with x29-turbo / x17-noturbo, which runs pretty fine. But it's not the machine I spent 699 for. If it was a crappy 300euro-2nd-laptop I wouldn't say a thing. From a brandnew machine I expect it to work as intended. If Acer cannot fix it, I'm gonna return it, basta! :)

Several new laptops with Nvidia gt540m are already announced, maybe I'll get one of these.

11. rcm_rx7

So you have the i3, that makes more sense now. It sounds like we are probably able to get around the same performance out of our machines, I just have to cut back the i5 even more to keep temps stable. I didn't realize the i3 shuts down at 85, I can hit that easy while playing BC2. It sounds like your limiting factor is the CPU however, where as I think mine is the GPU (overheating because of the CPU).

And to answer your question, at least with my i5, I hit 100 and shut down twice while using 18 multiplier. The GPU got up to 93 during that time, and it seems 100-105 for the GPU is hitting its upper limit. Both the CPU and GPU temps were unacceptable for me, I don't want this computer to die on me in a year or two.

I played a bit more BC2 as well, and I must say it actually performs quite well at a 14 multiplier, I still run with medium settings at native resolution. I may turn down a few options to try and get my temps down, it's gonna take a week or so of tinkering to make me happy :)

12. bulldozer_fusion

bulldozer_fusion Notebook Enthusiast

In fact you follow this steps?
    i did it yesterday if it's that you tell me to do How to Calibrate Your Laptop Battery
    i have to do it again so,i will give a try again

13. aintz

aintz Notebook Evangelist

the i3 2310 does no shutdown at 85. it just applies throttle at 85. it shuts down at 100.

when i blocked the vent with a box and kept it running throttled kicked in after 85. it lowered my sc2 fps from 80 to 50. 2.1ghz --> 1.2ghz is the throttle after 85C

14. Cpt. Yesterday

Thats what I thought but mine just shut off at 85. Maybe it was just a rare case? Would a bios update or driver updates change this? I haven't ran any updates, or updated any of my drivers yet, I just wanted to test this throttling right away.

15. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Capt., I would think that your I3 is exhibiting more typical behavior. Max temp for the I3-2310 is 85C in a PGA mount. Intel Core i3 2310M Notebook Processor - Notebookcheck.net Tech Once the thermal bridge exceeds temp, the core could either shut down or throttle. It can only continue to operate if it can quickly cool the thermal sensor. What you're seeing is likely manufacturing varibility between the two units. Could be better fan performance, heat transfer fluid or thermal paste or all 3.

16. Eason

Eason Notebook Evangelist

Strange. My notebook is set to "high performance". When I set throttlestop to "off" and let it monitor, my notebook immediately goes down to x 8 and stays there. CPU at 50C, GPU at 45. Any ideas why?

17. lastnikita

lastnikita Notebook Deity

because it's idle and doesn't need any power. 8x seems default min.

18. Eason

Running 3dmark06 it still stayed at x8. When I unplug it and turn off powersmart, the multiplier floats as it should.

19. lastnikita

lastnikita Notebook Deity

wow, then no idea.

20. Eason

I wonder if it's related to my fan always being on. Seems like that happened ever since I installed nvidia system tools, but I'm too lazy to uninstall it and see what happens. Plus I like my overclock.