Acer TimelineX 3820TG Owners Lounge. Info, benchmarks, tweaks, mods and upgrades

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hendrickson, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. run.dll

run.dll Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am done with 3820tg. Got rid of it. :eek: I feel no regret at all since the LG panel was killing my eyes, the pain in my eyes did not leave me for 2 days even after giving it up. But now I feel better but only some lightining effects are left in my eyes when it is all dark or semi-dark.

---------

But I am not leaving here without a fight, I would like to tell my opinios about this notebook (subnotebook).

First of all the 13 inch and powerful hardware combination (core i + hd5650) fails in my opinion. 13 inch panel is not good for gaming, is not good for watching films, is not good for working. When you work with it you need to spend more effort to see the details in your work compared to 15'6 screens and this makes you tired in a shorter time. Not suitable for any kind of work at all in my opinion. It is absolutely not suitable for gaming unless you have an external display connected to your 3820tg. The good hardware in the 3820tg is wasted by its limited 13 display. Strong hardware + little screen philosophy fails though it may sound charming and interesting...

So why 13 ? I guess there can't be much reason for it but some already. Surfing on the net and writing mails, chatting and similar activities could be a good reason to choose 13' over 10' display of a netbook because it is too small. 13' is good if you want a netbook but if you don't like that small display, since 13' notebooks can be almost as light as 10' netbooks with a larger display so more pleasing for the eyes... But here I don't talk about 3820tg because the powerful hardware in the 3820tg is completely useless for simple tasks a surfer would perform... It only adds more weight and consumes the battery much faster.

---------

About 3820tg specs

Build : Looks beautiful when it s closed but you may be afraid to touch the display panel since it looks like it can be broken so easily, I did not like this, it could be better.

Power&Hardware : Very powerful for its price but this much power is useless for simple tasks... And for gaming it is better to choose notebooks with larger screens with better graphics accelerators. HD 5650 is good but not brilliant. The WD HDD inside the device caused shuttering during games, it was very annoying. Even without this problem with hdd the device faces shuttering during games at least mine did.

Noise : Very satisfying, very silent during simple tasks, during gaming fans don't stop but still not very annoying, I had seen worse.

Temperature : After 4-5 hours of playing Civilization 5, Dragon Age, Starcraft 2 and such games the i3 370m CPU got highest degrees celcius of 74 and HD 5650 got 78 (OC'ed). So fair enough.

Keyboard : Good keyboard in my opinion, I got used to it on the first day, it is pleasing to write with that keyboard.

Touchpad : It is bad... I don't ever understand what is the reason for making a touchpad so bad like this... Even in cheaper, simplier and older notebooks touchpads are much better. Nothing is good about it.

Wireless Connection : In my unit, there was Atheros wireless module which performed excellent. Never disconnected during games or such, could receive signals from very far away. Very pleasing...

Webcam : Average, 1.3 mp... Not very bad not good neither.

Display : If you got a LG display it might be hazardous, I don't know about the other panels. I am not sure if all LG panels in these devices are like this but I never felt this kind of pain in my eyes from any other screen. Users with other panels seem to be pleased.

Battery Life Good... A device like this with a less W consuming CPU would be much greater.

Power Adapter Very disappointing, very bad... Even my 6 years old notebook has a double so smaller adapter. You gain a bonus from 13 's lightweight but lose some of it with such a bad built adapter. So you change the adapter or hdd in the device or its other cheap units... And in the end you pay again the same money money you would pay for a notebook with better quality, so better to get notebooks already with better quality instead of changing the poor equipment of a cheap notebook like this.

NO Dvd-rw integrated in the device and 4820tg vs 3820tg question : I never needed an optical drive even external. If I needed to choose between 4820tg and 3820tg I would choose 3820tg again. 14 display is not good for gaming neither and 1 inch is not much of a gain in exchange for lighter weight and smaller case plus 3820tg has 2 coolers and more pleasing for the eyes. 3820tg is superior without a question in my opinion.

3820tg does not deserve any place in the computer history. The main point of this device... Powerful hardware + 13 inch display fails totally. So get larger notebooks for hardware demanding works and get notebooks/netbooks with lighter hardware for web. 3820tg stands between these and its side is not defined. If you don't choose a side you are wasted. :cool:

2. Skirr

Skirr Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

wow, what a huge discussion you've got going here. Seems to be the right place in the internet to ask some questions about the device.

I've read aprox. the last 50 pages and besides the different fan behaviour between the 3 last firmware versions I stumbled upon these graphic drivers issues. Would you be so kind to tell me where the difference between the usage of the last Acer AMD driver (10.7 as far as I've read) and the 10.10(e) driver lies? Do you use the 10.10 only because of its newer version number or is it also increasing the perfomance (I've read about the cripple PCIe lanes and the mediocre perfomance with them, is this problem fixed with the last Acer driver)?

In addition: How do you regulate the power managment? Is it recommended to use the Acer software or are there no benefits compared to the use of the Windows 7 power modes (especially reagarding battery life and horsepower of the device, do you get extra runtime from the Acer software)? Would be nice to hear how the 3820TG behaves in the different modes.

Thanks for reading this and helping me out ;)

3. alvirn

alvirn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ^ Too bad you have this experience and with all support i'm with you on that. But please do not persuade people not to buy this product just because of your experience. IMO, your story reflects individual preferrences and everything boils down that. You cannot push people to get bigger screens if they want smaller ones like these. Peace out!ü

4. Calbino

Calbino Newbie

Reputations:
    Quoted from post #7406

I believe you made a bad choice of what PC you wanted, which doesn't reflect the quality of the system.

The touch pad works very well and I have the LG display and experience no discomfort. Perhaps the screen size is to small for you

5. glb2008

glb2008 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You are a happy man!. I read all 744 pages and I'm not sure what video driver is best for me.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    10.10e is a modded driver. It is not an official Acer driver nor even an official AMD catalyst driver. Therefore, I do not recommend that anyone use it. It is, however, a modded version of the AMD desktop 10.10 driver that added certain enhanced functions to AMD GPU's such as artificial intellegence and enhanced parallel processing. I would use it only if you have enough experience with modded drivers to work through any problems it may create and if you want the functions that the driver provides. These functions are invaluable in my profession.

For most users, the better alternative is to stick with the Acer drivers. For one reason, everything works and it has been tested.

The crippled PCIe lane was fixed nearly 6 months ago with one of the Catalyst drivers. The PCIe lane only reverts back to 1 x 16 when the unit is in idle mode.

I did not install ePower on this unit. I use the windows power management only. ePower is terrible IMO. I don't use it. In fact, other than the registration program, the only app I use from the original acer is Launch Manager and I'm not even sure that's necessary.

Bronsky:cool:

@ Run.dll - while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think you could not be more wrong about the unsuitablility of a 13" display for work. I use mine 8 or more hours a day and have no problem. I find the Acer display better than most 13" units. I have compared it side-by-side with a lot of different 13" units, including the Envy 13, Sony Z, Asus U30, HP DM3, Dell Vostro 3300 and Latitude E6410. IMO, only the Z and the Envy have clearly superior displays (with the Envy being #1 IMO). To be sure, there are people using an 11.6" as their primary computer who have no problems. Given your dislike for the 13" however, I think you did the right thing getting rid of it. I also think your post is appropriate here. The discussion in this thread has always been very frank.

One thing that I did do when I got my display is calibrate it and run it with a color profile. That might have helped you.

7. Trevize

Trevize Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Agreed : 5 days now without using these notebook, and no more pain in my eyes, I feel realy better (not as perfect as before, but it seems to improve with time).
    This screen is stressing optical nerves, certainly cause of a very cheap/bad LED calibration (no uniform light / flickering), or bad polarisation.

People can see details of symptoms here (thx Run.dll for the link) :
    Apple - Support - Discussions - Eye strain from LED backlighting in ...

It seems to be the same problem. It can happen on different screens (some macbooks, some thinkpads ...)

This LG screens (or at least some of them) ARE problematic.
    If anyone got a LG screen in his 3820TG, and have this sort of problem, don't go further, don't use it anymore. (In my opinion, a long-time use could damage the optical nerve)
    (after using it for 2 weeks, I was half blind, disoriented... I was used to get 10/10 on each eye, and never got one single vision problem before this.)
    Not everyone is concerned, it seems some people are more photosensitive to this special problem than others.

Saturday, I'll send the notebook to Acer after-sale dep., hoping they will hear my call and change the screen.

8. run.dll

run.dll Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    it s my opinion and besides I say orange to orange...
    Check this: YouTube - Deer Hunter - "This is this"

lol I don't push anybody everyone has his own mind to use to choose I just made recommendations what hurts you there ? :)

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    I have to say that I find your comments to be incredibly irrisponsible.

10. biggyrocks

biggyrocks Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Check this out. I've ordered some parts for my 3820tg (upper case and touch pad). Parts are ordered directly from acer and the shipping is pretty fast. Comes in handy too if you need to find a part number for the 3820tg. You should paste the link below using chrome to translate.

Notebook Reparatur Shop: Notebook Akku, Netzteil, Notebook Display, Mainboard, Bios, Ersatzteil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.