Acer TimelineX 3820TG Owners Lounge. Info, benchmarks, tweaks, mods and upgrades

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hendrickson, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drizzt5

drizzt5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Huh, I guess it would be nice, but so many of my devices are USB 2.0 that I would use the speeds even less then I plan on using the ODD in the 4820tg.

How about intels lightpeak? Would you be interested in that in future laptops?

2. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I couldn't have put it better myself. I back up large files and its painful over USB2..But i can live with it, just. Next notebook its a must to have usb3!.

Lets us know if your HP Slate ships and do you plan to overclock it or mod it too :p haha

3. K5Doom

K5Doom Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What would be a good internal bluetooth module for it? Mine does not come pre-shipped with one.

I plan on gaming on it, and use a bluetooth/wired mouse (razer orochi). I heard that cheaper bluetooth modules can cause pairing issues and lag.

4. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is the 6650m the exact same as a 5650, or the same but using a lower nm manufacturing process?

5. drizzt5

drizzt5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I had to guess, probably just higher stock clocks, possibly from a better batch and with more voltage supplied.

6. danieljoachims

danieljoachims Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, The 5942 KB size, layout and clips are the same as the 3820TG, but i will hope that the KB connector the same is *hope* :) i let you know then i starting the mod i will take photos etc .... I will use the USB Power 5V or the internal 5V Power strang from onboard power supply. I think my KB coms at Saturday and in the next Week beginn to mod.

Daniel

7. CinSun

CinSun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i've mentioned this problem before but i'm gonna bring it up again in hopes someone might have a solution to the problem i'm having. I installed an i7-620m the day I got my laptop. My temps seem to be a bit high and I'm not sure what the problem is. I've re-applied thermal paste (arctic silver 5) twice now and i'm getting the same temps. I've tightened the screws for each heatsink assembly as tight as I possibly can without stripping the heads. In prime 95 within 15 min or so the temps will hit approx 99 degrees C, at which point the proc will throttle. If I remove the battery it takes a bit longer to hit 99 degrees, maybe 20-30 min. Running 3dmark06 for about an hour the temps will reach about 93-94 deg C. In battlefield BC2 the temps reach about 95-96 deg C within 15-20 min. Judging from the temps others are getting I feel like these temps are WAY too high. Does anyone have any suggestions to resolve this problem? Thanks in advance

8. alvirn

alvirn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi cinsun, i'll test my notebook for comparison as i have the same processor as you do.ü i'll let you know.

9. Ponjornoh²³

Ponjornoh²³ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would do the following tests to identify the cause:

• Did you have any temp problems with the stock cpu before the swap?
    • Did you test it with the latest bios version?
    • Are the fans working properly?
    • Swap back the stock cpu to check if the problem is caused by the cooling system or the cpu.

10. alvirn

alvirn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Okay i did the torture test on prime95 for 45 minutes using blend settings and my i7 620m went to a maximum of 91C on hwmonitor 92C on core temp, never went up. Also this was done while i was playing virtual pool 3, with wi-fi and bluetooth on. By the way this is a stock i7 installed. I don't know what's causing yours to throttle though... :-(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.