Acer TimelineX 3820TG Owners Lounge. Info, benchmarks, tweaks, mods and upgrades

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hendrickson, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. horrorwood

horrorwood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, are those the only ones you can use or will an i7 680LM/680M 2.4ghz work?

2. lee_what2004

lee_what2004 Wee...

Reputations:
    That's the one tested before...

3. Jabberwhacky

Jabberwhacky Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I uninstalled my stock Catalyst drivers and installed the 10.10e linked by Hendrickson and now I can't get my resolution over 1024x768. I don't think I did anything 'wrong' as all I did was uninstall and install. Any ideas?

4. horrorwood

horrorwood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok thanks, guess i'll try the 680LM

I assume the 3820TG is PGA988? As intel's site lists the 640m as being available in BGA1288 and PGA988?

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Correct.

Bronsky:cool:

6. Jabberwhacky

Reputations:
    Alright I'm still stumped. I get this error when I open up Device Manager. However, it lists ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5600/5700 Series under Display Adapters, and it's listed as working properly. So then I had the bright idea to reinstall the Intel graphics drivers, since the other Display Adapter was listed simply as a Standard Display Adapter and not an Intel. Well I tried it first through Windows Update, and upon restarting the screen never turns on after the Windows logo, it stays black for minutes before I have to hold the power button to turn off the computer. So I had to go into safe mode and restore drivers. Then I tried the latest from Intel's website, and the exact same thing happened. I'm posting this now from Safe Mode :( What the heck is going on with these drivers?

Attached Files:

7. aylafan

aylafan TimelineX Elite

Reputations:
    If you are using the preinstalled version of Acer Windows 7 Home Premium with the graphic drivers already installed, you cannot uninstall the ATI driver because it will conflict with the Intel driver. Vice versa with the Intel driver. The ATI and Intel drivers are combined together to allow switchable graphics. Try reinstalling the AMD driver from the Acer website if you did uninstall one of the stock drivers.

If you are using a clean install of Windows 7. You will have to install the driver named AMD (not ATI and not Intel) from the Acer website. The AMD driver is a bundled graphics driver and has both the ATI and Intel drivers. Once, you have the AMD driver installed, you can then follow the steps in this forum to update the ATI driver. However, you CANNOT update the Intel driver.

AMD driver (ATI+Intel bundled) + Latest ATI drivers = Is all you can do.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    +1 100% correct.

9. Jabberwhacky

Reputations:
    Thanks, that cleared it up, and after a bit of searching I managed to find the directions for properly updating (switch to Discrete, update, switch to Switchable).

10. kevt119

kevt119 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just a quick update - my monitor is the AUO322C - and, as I stated before, I think the display is just fine. I'm not experiencing anything strange or low quality about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.