Acer TimelineX 3820TG Owners Lounge. Info, benchmarks, tweaks, mods and upgrades

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hendrickson, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personal opinion I guess. Depends how fussy you are. I'm a little fussy. For me my 3820TG screen has better color and brightness than my P6831fx next to it.

View angles are fine, not wonderful. But good. After tweaking the display its good. While its no Sony Vaio screen. I'm 100% happy with it and it is better than I expected. Like you, I expected a super dull 0% view angle screen reading the reviews.

On the downside it is reflective as hell, like all glossy screens.... So dont try use it outside.

The keyboard is acceptable in my books. A little flex but ok. Its no thinkpad keyboard. I would give it 7/10. Takes a little to get use too. 10 being the best thinkpad keyboard you can get.

2. oddsock

oddsock Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'd say the fan noise is definitely more audible than on the Asus UL30VT that I recently got rid of. It's not obtrusive, but it could have been better. (Or maybe I've just been spoiled by the extremely quiet operation of the UL30VT.) Getting into some heavier work, the fan definitely makes itself heard, though, but that's to be expected. I don't mind noise when I'm playing games. Also, on the UL30VT the fan noise was just a smooth wooshing sound. The 3820TG has a little more tone in the fan noise, if you know what I mean. But it's not bad. I am very concerned about noise, and I can live with this, so you should be ok. I returned the Alienware M11x because of fan noise, though. That was a nightmare. The fan was spinning up and stayed on turbo for no apparent reason at all, and the CPU was practically freezing.

35w TDP doesn't mean exactly that the CPU consumes 35w. It means that the cooling system must be able to dissipate 35w of heat to keep the CPU running safely. I guess Intel set the same TDP rating for both i5 and i7 (and i3?) even though their actual power consumption vary. Higher clock rate on the same architecture generally equals higher power consumption equals more heat. Read more about TDP.

By the way, Hendricksen, did you get a nice picture with HDMI at 1080p?

3. oddsock

oddsock Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Vertical viewing angles are poor. This is very obvious in dark scenes in games and video, where the colors invert slightly in the corners. Contrast is nothing to shout about either. Blacks are generally a little too gray for my tastes. Bright scenes look ok, though. I'd say the display is just as poor as on the Asus UL30VT.

I found out about the HP Envy 14 just after I ordered my 3820TG. Got the 3820TG 5 days ago, so I've still got 9 days to decide whether I want to keep it. I'm seriously considering returning it and get an Envy 14. A 14,5" 1600x900 display with 350nit sure is tempting. The display is definitely the biggest con of the 3820TG.

4. Hendrickson

Reputations:
    FYI 100% confirmed here its a removable CPU..Upgradeable ;)

[​IMG]

5. oddsock

oddsock Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just ran 3dMark06, and I only got 6970 points. I have the i5-430m/5650 combo, so exactly the same as Hendrickson. I've heard there was an issue with PCI-e only using one lane instead of 16, but checking Everest everything seems to be in order:

[​IMG]

This was both before during and after running 3dMark06. Compare with the screenshot from the review at notebookjournal.de where they discussed this problem. What am I missing?

6. Hendrickson

Reputations:
    I'm running bios 1.13, so the fans maybe different. Also I'm used to my gateway which is loud when its underload. Compared to that this is so quite.

I heard about the M11x, apparently it fans really make a lot of noise underload and don't tend to slow down much after that. For me the ALienware is a brick of a 11" notebook. Way to fat and heavy for travel. Its butt ugly too ;)

7. Hendrickson

Reputations:

Read my first post of this thread there is the fix ;)

edit: might as well post it here for you

Common issues and solutions

Poor 3d performance / PCI-E runs at only x1 not x16. Installing the latest ATI Catalyst drives fixes this. See below:

Installing the latest ATI 5650 catalyst drivers. First much sure you install the stock Acer ATI vga driver. Then go into the systems bios (F2 on boot) and set the vga mode to discrete in the second screen. (See screenshot below) Install the driver and then reboot and go back into the bios and change the options back to switchable.

8. dacow

dacow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think you should add another section to your review, "How to upgrade your CPU: Coming Soon" ;)

9. oddsock

oddsock Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, I knew about that, but thanks anyway. :) What I was wondering is why does Everest say it runs @16x? I was expecting to see 1x, since I got the mediocre 3dMark score. But I'll update drivers and BIOS now and report back how it went.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    The new Arrandales will be out in Q3. Would be interesting to put an I5-580M in there or an I7-640M.:D You think there will be bios issues?

Bronsky:cool:

BTW, spoke to Singapore this morning (never thought about calling them when I woke up - DUH!:rolleyes: ). Verizon took international blocker off with a simple call. Waiting for an email from them so we can exchange address/shipping information to see if shipping to the US is possible and pricing. The person on the phone was very helpful. BTW, everybody in my company thinks I'm completely out of my mind, trying to order a laptop from half-way around the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.