Acer TimelineX 3820TG Owners Lounge. Info, benchmarks, tweaks, mods and upgrades

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hendrickson, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bankergolfer

bankergolfer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I thought the whole point of installing the stock ATI driver (v 8713) first, and then the updated ATI driver, was so switchable graphics works.

We could always install the updated ATI driver without the stock ATI driver. But doing so would mean not having switchable graphics.

2. XenoG

XenoG Newbie

Reputations:
    It seems that we can switch from ati to intel gpu, but not from intel gpu to ati. Not sure about the rest of them. But that's the way in my case.

3. kiskapu

kiskapu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Congrats on Your 6 cell notebook! I know how that feels!:)

Could You please tell me how the Samsung RAM WEI score, and maybe the HDD's score and type if possible, thanks!

I'm curious what type of unit does the hungarian market has nowadays, I might be buying another one and giving this to my friend - this one has Hyundai RAM, Seagate 320GB and an AUO322 panel.

Thanks in advance!

4. LordSqueals

LordSqueals Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Bronsky!
    How did you manage to get SetFSB to work?
    I've basically given up but your post shed me ray of sunshine...so would you mind sharing your story?
    Also what FSB did you get it up to?

5. NorwegianBlood

NorwegianBlood Newbie

Reputations:
    I now sit in the living room about 3 meters from the wireless router and I get a connection speed of 36MBit? That is just lousy. I am using stock wireless drivers. Anyone else have similar problems? The router is capable of 300MBit so this is highly disappointing.

6. zsero

zsero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Kiskapu, I would wait till september for the 460M models. Acer.shop.hu already lists one and its no more expensive than the 450M ones.

The replacement notebook I bought came from a different warehouse, different shop, different everything, but it was produced on exactly the same week as the one before. What means that overclockablity is really nice, but that the display still has issues.

I can confirm two different display issues:
    brightness shifting: sooner or later the brightness of the display gets one level brigher or darker

brightness flickering: on low levels, on battery, when doing something HDD intensive, the screen flickers a bit.

But I think I am going to keep this one, as it seems not that bad, and I am quite happy with my overclocks.

7. zsero

zsero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have spent the night figuring out what sequence of driver installation does what. It was possible to switch back and forth, but windows thought I got 4 displays connected and the mouse left the screen all the time.

But the biggest issue was that switching from one to the other did not really switch the chip off, even on intel I got discharge rates of about 18000-20000 mW (or three hours battery life).

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    It's a still a work in progress. It's complicated by the fact that the clockgen that works on my CPU adds a lower adjustment bar that alters (no one else seems to have it) the RAM speed, PCI-E and PCI Frequency and I have no idea in what range the adjustments should be. I don't know if this matters, but I have a registered copy of SetFSB (the contribution is only 500 Yen ($5 US). I have had the CPU clockspeed up to a measured 3.1ghz but the OC was clearly unstable. WPrime and SuperPi both showed checksum errors. Last night I started to figure out the lower slide enough to be able to get a stable 2.8ghz that passed WPrime. That's as far as I got. I know there were a few of us that had non-ocable units. A lot of them were early models from Computeruniverse. What unit do you have? Model #.

I'm toying with starting a thread on this because it is of interest to only a small number of owners (since most units seem to OC) and such a technical discussion will get lost in a thread that moves as fast as this one. We could get Hendrickson to link it to the first page of this thread.

Bronsky:cool:

9. zsero

zsero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Guys, I am getting 7 hours on battery while surfing the internet on the stock battery (intel with power saving profile)!!! I love this laptop, it's light AND quick AND good on battery.

10. Kevven

Kevven Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So now after the release of Catalyst display driver 10.8, what is the correct install method? Same as the one before? Bios, install and bios again? =)

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.