Acer TimelineX 3820TG Owners Lounge. Info, benchmarks, tweaks, mods and upgrades

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hendrickson, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valismp

valismp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where/when can I purchase this laptop in the US?

2. kiskapu

kiskapu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So far nowhere I'm afraid, check on the Official Arrendale Timeline Thread, they're trying to find any retailers who would ship these babies to the US.

3. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've found that 670 / 1050 is pretty good. almost 2 hours of GTA IV on high and GPU temp is 73-74 degrees. No artifacts or glitches :D. Running the core @ 680+ seems to crash after a few minutes in games but not Furmark...

I'll get some driver links up asap.

Solved my audio issues: Seems my HDMI cable I was using isn't up to the job. Its not able to output audio only video.

I used my gold plated Panasonic one and it works just fine :)

4. bydus

bydus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    what 3dmark06 score do you get with those clock speeds? also have you FRAPS GTA4 for fps on high settings with 4star police chase :p same for bad company 2 plz ;] mate im so jealous (;

5. Vaio Z Power

Vaio Z Power Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe a video playng gtaIV?

6. Hendrickson

Reputations:
    On the high settings its around 24-20fps. When there is alot going on it lags, drops to like 15 fps :(. Lowering the view distances or settings to medium its very smooth then and higher fps. I'm about to install an SSD so i can't test it again. But i think with medium settings its like 35-40fps. Very playable.

If i get time and when I get it back up and running. About to install an OCZ vertex 120GB :D

P.S overclocked I got just over 9000 3dmark06 points, so the higher CPU would get 10,000 points easy.

7. zsero

zsero Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have just registered to post because of this little beast! I am so much looking into buying him in the near future (I am in Europe), I am actually planning to put a 80 GB Intel G2 SSD in it, and selling both my Thinkpad X61 and a 3.6 Ghz overclocked quad-core desktop (quite a crazy decision, I know).

My only question is:
    - Does anyone know anything about the temperatures/loudness of the 620m compared to the 450m in this laptop? They have the same TDP, so I don't understand the whole issue, that why would it be hotter by 10 degrees? Silent running is very important for me, I would not choose 620m if it would need a constant running fan. Would you recommend against getting the 620m over the 450m (if I ever see it)?
    - Crazy question:
    Is anyone willing to look into how could we hack a matte xVA or AFFS screen in this? For example with Thinkpad X60 and X200 series there was a strong community action researching how to find a fitting screen, make custom cable and flash the BIOS (only if the resolution was different). This way anyone can retrofit almost all X models with matte AFFS screen. As I see 1366x768 in 13.4 inch is not such a nice resolution, as I did not find any quality panel after a quick google search, but I might have missed things.

8. Hendrickson

Reputations:
    Hi Zsero, welcome to the forums. Using the intel HD graphics is very quite and you can't even hear it. Even with the ATI 5650 active you only hear the fans under heavy load. Normal desktop usage its hard to hear them.

Yes the TDP is the same of 35w. But I guess the higher speed generates much more heat?

For the moment I'm sticking with my i5 430m, if I can overclock a little. I wouldn't bother with upgrading it to a i7 620m.

There might be a matte screen that would fit, but the cables would be an issue. 1366x768 me is perfect in 12" and 13" notebooks. Any higher for me is just to small. I hate adjusting DPI to make the text bigger.

9. Holmlund

Holmlund Newbie

Reputations:
    Have anyone tried running Ubuntu or some other linux-dist on the 3820tg?

Thanks!

10. luffytubby

luffytubby Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I want this notebook, but I'm very afraid about the Display - I am okay with it being Glossy, but I've been told that it has horrible viewing angles, contrast, saturation and brightness levels... gahh.

The second thing I have heard is that the keyboard is very poor, and if your a person who type a lot, it's ill advised to buy the 3820 Notebook. The notebookcheck review talks about "yielding". Gaaaaahhhhhh...

Can anyone confirm, or explain these statements to me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.