Acer TimelineX 3820TG Owners Lounge. Info, benchmarks, tweaks, mods and upgrades

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hendrickson, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lastdon

lastdon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    kindan

nice guide

rep for u

2. Danny7GTX

Danny7GTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried overclocking an i7 620m on their aspire 3820g laptops ? Anyone ? :confused:

3. PeterDLai

PeterDLai Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    EDIT: Oh never mind, that's GPU overclocking. Woops.

4. Danny7GTX

Danny7GTX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    REALLY ??? How ?!

5. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow + Rep, great work on the guide and 99 photos :) Is it hard to replace the CPU? I mean the antenna wires look a right pain! :mad: Have you checked to see if your FSB can let you overclock?
    I will add a link from the first page to your guide here.

6. max7

max7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

If it was possible to become fan on facebook of "Do a "Hendrickson" ", I would definately join ;)

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Very nice job Kindan. I think you now own the first I7-620M 3820TG in the Western Hemisphere.:D The way it looks, if I want to make my unit OC'able, I will probably need to replace the motherboard in the hope of getting a different clockgen. Your description of the wire routing and replacement is better than the Acer manual. They should update it with your pics.:)

Bronsky:cool:

8. kindan

kindan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah I had almost 200mb of photos. I went way over the free limit for flickr so I just paid the yearly fee.

Actually to be honest replacing the CPU itself was the easiest part of the whole thing. Getting the antennas out of the plastic loops is far easier than getting them back through it. You just kind of have to stuff them into the loop and hope they come out the other side.

I posted some pages back that I haven't been able to overclock using the free version of setFSB as it causes the laptop to freeze. I'll try playing with it some more now that I have the guide out of the way. I don't really like the idea of a forced donation for the shareware one so I'm not sure if I intend on paying for it yet.

I finally did a reinstall of the OS as my initial scores were with the Acer supplied Windows 7. With the high performance profile in Windows 7 selected I can overclock the GPU to a stable 705/1075, but my scores are still fluctuating between 9500-9650 which can be had with less expensive CPUs.

9. kindan

kindan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I suspect you will have to swap the mainboard out for another if you want to OC. Since you technically don't have a warranty on it I don't see the harm in doing that. I actually took my 3820TG apart again so I could get some cleaner shots for the guide for important parts for the same reason. :D

The wire routing is extremely important for the white antenna. It wasn't until I was routing the white antenna back through the loop that I realized it was covered in cuts. When I inevitably take apart the 3820TG again to install the third antenna I'll take pictures of the white WLAN antenna so others can see.

Where can we purchase the service manual anyway? I was looking around online before and only found them for $13+ and I'm a cheapskate. Not about my technology purchases - just the "accessories."

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    send me a PM with an email address.

Bronsky:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.