Acer TimelineX 3820TG Owners Lounge. Info, benchmarks, tweaks, mods and upgrades

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hendrickson, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    I would reinstall windows. Then ask someone who has backed up their 4830TG with eRecovery to tell you which files are in their DRV folder. Then go to the Acer website and DL the ones that come with the original 4820TG. See if that solves your problem.

The 3820TG drivers would be completely different IMO. If your machine was working perfectly when you got it, it is probably Okay. Take it back to the beginning and start over. Calmly. Plus the power saving program is really touchy. I could see it shutting down the backlighting.

Bronsky:cool:

2. Marasam

Marasam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone know, why overclocking the CPU isn't yielding the performance increase one would expect in games ?

BTW: Does OCing the CPU/GPU void the warranty?

3. Handa

Handa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, since you can just set it back to default before sending it in for service, not that I think they would even notice/care if you didn't.

4. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Select the G73jh clockgen (the last one at the bottom and push the get fsb button. Move the slider up between 133 - 160 Mhz first and hit setfesb to set the clock rate. And test it in prime95 till its stable. Normally if its too high your 3820TG will just reset.

Personally my maximum clock I reached was 3527 Mhz @ 176Mhz FSB :eek: . But that's not stable in mutli threaded apps and crashes

Proof here of that clock: CPU-Z Validator 3.1

I run a stable 3.36Ghz (Turbo) @ 168Mhz bus speed now that passed hours of prime95 + Furmark testing with a max temp of 96. At 166Mhz FSB the temp max's out at 92degrees. More on my test here with proof: http://forum.notebookreview.com/ace...rks-tweaks-mods-upgrades-225.html#post6509367

At this speed shes faster than a stock i7 620m (More proof below) :

[​IMG]

But in the real world, converting videos and music. Large zip archives I have never seen it go over 89 degrees. Thats at 168Mhz, so shes a cool runner. Your machine maybe different. You should at least reach 160Mhz

Overclocking at the moment is good for anything non GPU related. However when gaming and overclocked we loose FPS. around 10%. This is due to bus bandwidth and so far we don't know how to solve this issue. It could be a permanent thing. So for gaming clock back to stock levels.

Still for a free boost in anything non 3D that makes your i5 450m out preform a stock i7 620m., its not bad ;) Just a imagine a i7 620m overclocked :) (Edit: i7 620m we discovered are poor overclockers due to the 1mb extra cache)

5. bydus

bydus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i would assume there would be a noticable performance gain in games like gta 4 and bad company 2 as they use 100% of my cpu (i5-450) while gaming. I will let you know if there is once i receive my SetFsb shareware key.

6. Cayari

Cayari Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Bronsky, I am at the point of sending it back, and it would be pretty dumb and a waste of everyone's time for me to do that if it is not a physical problem with the backlight. I am going to try to reinstall windows now.

I'd like to know though, if I reinstall windows, and it keeps being very dim and flickering, is it definitely a backlight problem?

7. panat000

panat000 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My 3820tg got problem with keyboard! sometime the key will not register if press at the edge of key. The worst is number "1" or "!"

anyone got the same problem or know how to fix it?

8. Handa

Handa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Daaaaaah, can't make up my mind on what to get, 3820, 4820 or 5820...

I feel like the 13.3" will be too small for me when gaming away from home, when I am home I almost constantly have my external screen connected. But the dual-fansetup is really nice. 4820TG seems to have some heat issues and 5820TG seems to be okay, I like a little bigger screen for gaming but I hate the keypad.

Help someone, is 13.3" okay for gaming?

9. Cayari

Cayari Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Reinstalled Windows, no joy. Is it worth trying to reinstall power saving program?

10. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Sorry OC-Freak had to do it :D

Yep I guess we can break 10k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.