Acer TimelineX 3820TG Owners Lounge. Info, benchmarks, tweaks, mods and upgrades

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hendrickson, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Dam - nice try anyway. I wonder why computeruniverse can't use UPS?

@lvivier - mine sat in Frankfurt for over a week. I think outgoing packages are held until there is a full container load.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    I would almost assume that they will put the new arrandales in the TimelineX, then we can follow suit if we want.:D I would not expect to see a quad core anytime soon.

3. ayiaz

ayiaz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey!

New to this thread and to the whole forum, been following this thread for long tho.

Purchased my baby a few days ago and I'm extremely pleased with the machine. A couple of questions have arisen though, for Hendrickson or just anyone who happens to know:

As for the SSD: is there any difference between OCZ Vertex / Vertex 2 / Vertex Turbo for this lappy? I mean, do it really benefit that much if I get the turbo?

About overclocking the CPU, do you recommend doing that? What kind of settings have been stable?

And finally about RAM: is there any point upgrading that? After upgrading from HDD to SSD I reckon it would be the "weakest" part of the lappy.

Thanks in advance! And especially thanks to Hendrickson about everything you've contributed to this thread. Keep up the good work! :)

4. vengance_01

vengance_01 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you are looking for a solid state these are the three I recomend:

Intel 80GB G2
    OCZ Vertex
    OCZ Agility II (best bang for your buck as its sandforce based)

I scored a Agility II for 120$ after BCB and MIR.

5. drdavidge

drdavidge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any updates on when/if this model is coming to the US yet ?

6. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For those of you that overclock the 5650.

The only way I've found to do this yet is by means of AMD GPU Clock Tool version 0.9.0.26.0.

Now, this utility does not have any obvious option of saving the overclock, meaning you'll have to restart it and re-enter the desired information every time you want some extra juice out of your card. If you want to make this permanent here's how to do it.

- Make a shortcut to the AMD GPU Clock Tool executable (default location in "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD GPU Clock Tool\" on x64 systems).
    - Enter the desred clockspeeds the "Target" box of the shortcut (rightclick shortcut -> Properties). The format is: "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD GPU Clock Tool\AMDGPUClockTool.exe" -eng=666 -mem=1050. Here I've used my own clockspeeds as example (don't copy just these values, use your own speeds that I hope you've tested properly before you set up a shortcut such as this :p ). It's the -eng=XXX -mem=XXX is the bit you'll have to ad.

Screenie
    [​IMG]

The shortcut can of course be placed in the "startup" folder to load automatically on startup. It's "silent", meaning it won't pop up and you won't see it. You can also have it on your desktop for a quick access when you want to clock.

Hope this comes in handy.

Note: I take no responsibility for your overclocking, or any damage that might follow from it. Do at your own risk!

Mac

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Nice disclaimer!:D :D :D :D

Bronsky:cool:

8. Just_a_Nick

Just_a_Nick Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @M4cr0s

Nice hint. Thank you.

9. ECKS

ECKS Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is good stuff. Will it apply to the 5650 in the E14 also?

10. M4cr0s

M4cr0s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I see no reason why not! :)

Mac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.