Acer TimelineX 3820TG Owners Lounge. Info, benchmarks, tweaks, mods and upgrades

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hendrickson, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The 3830 will be capable of running the new QC i7, so there's the possibility for a HUGE improvement in CPU if the machine can handle the extra heat generated by a 45W CPU. OTOH, SB i5s are only an incremental increase in horsepower over the first gen i5s.

The current 5650 can be overclocked right into and a bit beyond the stock performance of the GT540M

2. mark2000

mark2000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bump. Someone? I am sure everyone here has iPhones and can quickly try this?

3. Maurik

Maurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here are a few pics, taken with my iPhone in a darkish dining room... But you get the idea.

http://i.imgur.com/eqUkH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ie7La.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TU0qN.jpg

Thinking about doing this too, granted I did buy it because I'm traveling a lot, having it on your lap on the sofa is maybe a bit better with a 6-cell.

edit: changed images to links per mods request

4. bydus

bydus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Definitely good for ventilation ;) Looks like im gonna have to clean vents on my 3820tg once again (after like 3months) as its started to overheat again. Then again my room seems to get really dusty.

BTW wow over 1000pages, thats insane ;)

5. Maurik

Maurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, maybe you're right, ventilation is likely to be much better with the large battery. Perhaps the 2 main differences are the increased weight and the slightly decreased comfort factor when it comes to having the laptop on your lap.

I'll get used to it. No doubt the increased battery life outweighs my latter complaint...

6. raulilha

raulilha Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not sure about this... You don't get air from under the laptop, and depending of the surface you have some heat dissipation.

Since weight was one of the reasons I decided for the 3820TG instead of 4820TG, makes no sense to make it heavier. Also I use it on my lap sometimes, so I gave up of the 9-cell. Thank you for the pictures.

7. etd

etd Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for that - do you know what is the fastest CPU upgrade anyone has made to the 3820tg? I take it the CPU's aren't soldered in?

Thanks for the info. I'm just concerned about how much of a premium the 3830 will command versus the current price for a 3820.

Does anybody do any x264 encoding? Handbrake, mencoder etc. I'd be really interested to see what sort of fps they get with a 3820tg.

Cheers :)

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    CPUs are in PGA 988 sockets. I7-640M's have been successfully swapped. I have an I5-540M in mine and love it.

Bronsky:cool:

9. aunmar

aunmar Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    1 month at service. It's finally back! HP 6530b out of the window, my 13.3" beast is running againg. Hallelujah!

Priority 1: Save some money and get an SSD.

10. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Handbrake in Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit on my 4820TG gets ~50 to 55fps.

Regular old fashioned mpeg2 encoding to put files ON a DVD gets me four streams at around 60 fps each for a total of 240+ fps aggregate mpeg2 endcoding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.