Acer TimelineX 3820TG Owners Lounge. Info, benchmarks, tweaks, mods and upgrades

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hendrickson, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Icyzer

Icyzer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was wrong, it is my HDD thats making the noise. Atleast i guess so as the blue led flashes when i hear the noise...
    Anyone got any suggestions to fix it or is a ssd the only suggestion?

2. kiskapu

kiskapu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow...never would have thougt this incredible notebook would get so much attention - as more than 1000 pages - when the first info hit us about it in March 2010 (when the specs were accidentaly revealed on Acer International site).

Feels good owning one...

3. blueblazer22x

blueblazer22x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm trying to figure out a way for switchable graphics not to trip when I plug or unplug the power adapter. I'm on the HD6550 model and the catalyst help center says this option is available under switchable graphics properties but I don't see it there.

Basically I only want the graphics to switch from integrated to discreet and vice-versa when I push the physical switch button or choose to switch in the GUI.

4. Marrt

Marrt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    kizwans 1.19 BIOS for 3820tg works indeed!
    i experienced some little short timed graphic bugs in win7 when running on intel only as i insert the power connector but that doesnt bother me as long as it does no harm... does it do harm?

Excellent Idea! pls Share!

THX to you guys now i have my nearly perfect little Notebook, XP with 6 hours Working time, Backlit Keyboard will arrive soon.

The only thing thats left for me to do is to find a screen with better contrast values

5. prikolchik

prikolchik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just have to enable it in registry.

Method one
    1. Press Win+R or press Start and then Run. Type regedit and press Enter.
    2. On the left, navigate to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI\ACE\Settings\Graphics\PowerXpress\AutoSwitchingFeature] then the right there should be a key called Accessible. Double click on it and change from Nobody to Everybody. Click OK.

Method two.
    1. Alternatively, create a blank .txt file and paste this in it:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI\ACE\Settings\Graphics\PowerXpress\AutoSwitchingFeature]
    "Accessible"="Everybody"
    2. Rename the file to fix.reg and double click on it. Click Yes

Method three
    1. Download the attached file autoswitch_checkbox_fix.zip. Open it and double click on autoswitch_checkbox_fix.reg. Click Yes

The "disable autoswitching" check box will now appear either in Configure Gaphics or in ATI Control Center.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

6. raulilha

raulilha Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you very very much! I wanted to have full control too.

7. blueblazer22x

blueblazer22x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you but it didn't exactly work. Using your method did give me the option to enable or disable auto-switching in the switchable graphics properties, however when I chose not to auto-switch, it still switched to intel integrated when I went from ac to battery power.

8. donenvy

donenvy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody,

Im new to these forums and have a 3820TG on the way. I was wanting to know whether a Asus UL30 Keyboard would fit in my 3820TG as I prefer the look of the UL30 keyboard. I cant seem to find how many clips the 3820TG has on top and if it would fit the UL30 keyboard.

9. geokilla

geokilla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. ShivaDagger

ShivaDagger Newbie

Reputations:
    You need to be in Windows XP 32-bit. USB drives needs to be 2GB or less. Try different brands if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.