Acer TimelineX 3820TG Backlit keyboard mod

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hendrickson, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raulilha

raulilha Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm posting some pictures for whoever is interested in using bluetooth power.
    I know it's just a poor workaround, but may be useful to someone.

Wires and connectors I used: from a broken internal webcam.
    [​IMG]

Yes, you have to disassemble this much.
    [​IMG]

Here is where I get 3.3v. I used the cable to avoid damage to any board.
    [​IMG]

This is the bluetooth connector, motherboard side. I used this screwdriver to remove vcc and gnd small connectors.
    [​IMG]

And just wrapped the wires on these connectors. When I put back, the pressure of the connector case ensures that they won't escape. Didn't need to solder.
    [​IMG]

Don't look too bad:
    [​IMG]

female connector (yes, I ripped off of the webcam board):
    [​IMG]

Soldering male connector to the keyboard:
    [​IMG]

Easy to plug/unplug:
    [​IMG]

Final result:
    [​IMG]

Numbers... I prefer how they look with 5v, but bluetooth power had so many advantages for me, that I just did it.
    [​IMG]

From the top, room completely dark. This is how you actually see the keys, ignoring the "cool lights":
    [​IMG]

I uploaded a video of the switch feature. Check it out!

Raul

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Very nicely done. This is probably the best solution I've seen so far. We've been speculating for quite some time about using a system component like the BT module to switch the KB and eliminate the need to solder the board or components. You've accomplished both it seems. Congratulations.

Bronsky:cool:

3. subliminallyinc

subliminallyinc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey guys. i followed the back lit mod and im pretty sure i bought the same one posted in this forum page, but for some reason the damn key board still wont go in!

seems liek the keyboard is still too thick (i think its because of the light back plane. it just makes the thing half a millimeter too tall to fall under the upper tabs in the keyboard tray opening.)

makes me wonder if i even bought the correct keyboard because it just wont fit! its the 3810Tback lit keyboard off ebay!

someone tell me what i am doing wrong

4. raulilha

Reputations:
    My main concerns were to have a good switch and to don't lose the warranty.
    I could fit a broken MP3's switch on kensington lock without removing it, but it was so tight and hard to toogle that I gave up.
    I was going to order a new bluetooth cable. The best price I've got was $5 shipped. If someone is interested, just ask for the seller linknergy on eBay. In the end I just preferred to disassemble the cable connector. It's really easy to remove the graft later, if needed.
    Before opening the laptop, I spent some time testing the better voltage. I was using the same broken MP3, because I could get 5v from the USB or 3.7v from the MP3 internal charger. I spent a lot of time to decide if 3.3v from BT would be enough, and in my opinion, it's not. With 5v, the light is more equally distributed and you can see the blue FN icons better. I'm not satisfied, but that's ok. I noticed that I don't leave my bedroom's light on when I'm using it on bed, but I leave when I'm using my old Dell. I think it's positive.
    By the way there was someone who already used BT before. His nick on Youtube is Knuppel.

This is the same model that appear on Hendrickson's pictures and the same model I've got buying the $25.00 3810T backlit keyboard from eBay:
    Vendor: Darfon Customer: Compal
    Language: UI Rev: 00
    DFE Model No.: NSK-AP01D
    DFE P/N.: 9J.N2C82.01D
    Compal P/N.: PK1307O1A01
    KB 908618D91600

Yes, it's really too thick. You have to bend all the tabs and the keyboard to make it fit and don't look like a balloon. And even bending you still have to force it a bit. I forced the tabs individually with a small screwdriver covered by a piece of cloth.

5. PandaBear

PandaBear Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So how dim is the keyboard when using the bluetooth? From your pictures it look pretty decent. Can you at least see all the keys if the bedroom lights are off? Im not looking for it to be really bright, but just enough where all the keys can be seen in the dark.

6. raulilha

Reputations:
    The 5v doesn't just look nicer because is brighter... it is actually better to use. The letters are stronger compared with the light under the keys, making it better to be read in the darkness. Also the light have more equal distribution, making it easier to find a specific key.
    I'm not going to change it anymore, I'm good with this. Answering your question, yes, you can see all the keys with lights off.

Please watch this video. I filmed this for you.

Also I took a picture from the top, with my room totally dark, to let you see how readable it is ignoring the lights under the keys:
    [​IMG]

I'll update my other post with these.

7. PandaBear

Reputations:
    Ok. Thanks I appreciate it. Now I just need to solder the wires onto my bluetooth module. Hopefully the power/ground on my bluetooth module is the same as on yours. Mine has 5 wires going to the module.

8. raulilha

Reputations:
    Mine have 4. Note that the 3820TG motherboard have a 4 pin connector, probably it will look the same.
    The contacts in the bluetooth module are so small that is really hard to solder there. I would suggest you to use the BT wires.

9. PandaBear

Reputations:
    Yea i realized that I couldn't solder onto the contacts of the bluetooth module but i tried to splice the wires and it was a pain to get. My brother said he could solder onto the small bluetooth contacts so I'll let him give it a try. If all else fails, I guess I'll just have to go the switch and usb route. I only have a few months left on my warranty anyway so it should be ok to solder onto the board.

10. raulilha

Reputations:
    If it's ok to solder on the board, you should use the motherboard pins behind of the female connector of the bluetooth (next to the battery). It's as easy as solder on USB and you don't need the physical switch.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.