Acer TimelineX 3820TG Backlit keyboard mod

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Hendrickson, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    I would still solder the splice ...

Bronsky:cool:

2. raulilha

raulilha Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I spliced inside of the connector of the cable, there is a good pressure to keep the contact, and I can undo it easily in case of warranty matters.
    I'll post some pictures of my steps later.

I didn't want to mess with my cable since the cheapest I found was $5...

3. sllewgh

sllewgh Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, guys! Thanks for all the wonderful advice on the 3820tg, I'm glad I found it and am quite happy with the purchase :D

I've installed the backlit keyboard with power sourced from the Bluetooth module. I'm not quite clear if I've done this right, but I took the appropriate wires, cut them, and spliced them to the power wires from the keyboard as I've seen in recent posts.

Problem is, I've installed an SSD with a fresh OS, and neglected to install the bluetooth driver first. I know the keyboard is receiving power, as it lights up for a few seconds during POST, but I can't install bluetooth/get the system to power the port because the drivers won't install without the bluetooth device present.

Any way around this? Can I power my keyboard without disassembling everything and installing a bluetooth module first? There must be SOME way to force it to recognize a device, or something. Any advice?

4. raulilha

Reputations:
    The system can power up the port without any driver. Toogle FN+F3 slowly until it recognizes a new device and start seeking for the driver. If there is no device being found, it means you screwed with the bluetooth cables.
    You can use Acer Launch Manager to know if bluetooth is receiving power or not.

5. prikolchik

prikolchik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There have been talks about using one of the status LEDs to turn on/off the backlight on the keyboard, but I don't remember anyone talking about using the P (Programmable) button in the top right of the palmrest. Wouldn't it be an ideal choice if we made it so that it doesn't launch app/switch graphics (or whatever it is programmed to do)?

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    That would be really interesting.;)

Bronsky:cool:

7. Wally33

Wally33 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I thought about that but I dont know how to program that button...
    how is it done? I dont want to switch graphics everytime I turn on my keyboard backlight.

8. PandaBear

PandaBear Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know exactly which wire on the bluetooth module is the power and ground? I opened my 4820tg today but I couldn't locate the power and ground wire. I couldn't get a reading with my multimeter with the laptop off but battery plugged in. Not sure if I was suppose to power on the laptop then search for the power. It is the tine 2.1 bluetooth module for the 4820 series.

9. Just_a_Nick

Just_a_Nick Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can use a register inside the embedded controller to controll the "P" LED.

But I don't know a way to disable the "switch function" without cutting a wire.

Best regards

10. raulilha

Reputations:
    This is the picture I took from my 3820TG, hope it helps. I found out with some datasheets and the arrow indicating VCC. I didn't use a multimeter.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.