Acer Swift X (2021) - Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Acer' started by axalt, Sep 17, 2021.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Looks like Acer is adding a 16-inch model with Intel ARC graphics for 2022.

Rooter1234 and downloads like this.
  2. axalt

axalt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    nice.

the 14" looks like a dud compared to the 2021 model. the only difference is the switch to intel but the 5800u is plenty for the 3050ti, at least for gaming. it usually only sits at 20% load even when the 3050ti is maxed out. good chance to pick up a discounted 2021 model when it comes out.
    EDIT: looks like the screen is taller at 16:10. might be worth it if you need thunderbolt.

the 16" looks really good though depending on how arc performs. 3.7 lbs, 1440p. if it supports passthough PD charging like the 2021 model it will be fantastic. doubt you'll be able to shunt mod it though, lol.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Nikoli707 likes this.
  3. Nikoli707

Nikoli707 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/241526/241526

So it looks like this is the Asus Vivobook Pro 14x/16x 35w-50w vbios. Im not near my SwiftX at the moment to test it out. Im not exactly sure if it is the Intel or the Amd model though. Im hoping the 5800h model would have monitoring sensor data that matches our laptops.

I flashed back to the stock 35w-40w bios since the dell 40w-45w vbios is definitely does not work correct for the swiftx

4. axalt

axalt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    great find!
    looks like the M7600QE-L2014T that it came from is the ryzen 5900H model. I am very tempted to try it but I wont have access to my spi programmer in case something goes wrong for another week or so. if nobody else is willing to try it I will as soon a I can.

Nikoli707 likes this.
  5. axalt

axalt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Nikoli707 likes this.
  6. Nikoli707

Nikoli707 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ahh i didnt even notice to look at the bottom of the bios page it shows the M7600Q model. looking forward to seeing how it does.

7. axalt

axalt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  8. axalt

axalt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    well I flashed it. No problems with the flash but it has the same problem as the XPS bios. Wattage always reports 6W so it just adds power until it reaches its physical power limit (around 60w). Plugging / unplugging the power connector registers 750W and if you do it with a load on the GPU (gaming) it will get stuck and lock the core clock at 200mhz until the load is removed. then it resets to 6w.

ohh well. would have been cool if it worked like its supposed to. I wish there was a way to tell which component is reaching its power limit when running this way to know if its going to fry the gpu long term.

Timespy score: 5651, graphics: 5332, CPU: 8554

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022 at 5:06 PM
  9. Adonwen

Adonwen Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you all for all your work with regards to the Swift X. I tried the Asus vbios and observe the same behavior that Axalt reports. I have flashed back to the Acer vbios - back to normal.

10. axalt

axalt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I wanted to get some extra performance in games so I went back into the bios to play around with the memory timings and i managed to get the latency down from 114ns to 77ns. I was running stock settings since i had to reset the bios a while back and was too lazy to play around with it but the improvement is pretty drastic.

Stock:
    • Mem clock: 2133 Mhz
    • FCLK: 1067
    • UCLK: 1067
    • SOC: 0.8v
    [​IMG]

Modded:
    • Mem clock: 2000 Mhz
    • FCLK: 2000
    • UCLK: 2000
    • SOC: 1.125v
    • Power Disable: Off
    [​IMG]

There are options to change the timings in the modded bios but unfortunately they have no effect so im stuck with the defaults. Still a great improvement though. I cant believe how unoptimized the memory is by default in this thing.