Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Aphacool and Fujipoly have the one of the best thermal pads
    https://www.alphacool.com/search/index/sSearch/Alphacool+Ice+Thermal+Pad?p=1

For paste and for vrms i use thermal grizzly with 2700x on my predator:
    https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/produkte/6-minus-pad
    https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/produkte/2-kryonaut

If you already overclocked 2700 then is not worth it. If you want run cpu on stock then you get some gains, it runs im my case betwen 3800-3900mhz in gaming with coolboost enbled and auto settings in predatorsense. Its even more energy efficient because is better binned than 2700 when you compare with the same clock. My answer is. Depends!

If you have 2600, then answer is yes!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Uckaynotebook likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am aware that tight RAM timings can provide similar results as higher clocked RAM with looser timings, but, here's the problem: laptop RAM manufacturers don't make RAM with tight timings (in fact, most laptop RAM comes with with very loose timings which don't come close to desktop at all), and if you do manage to find such RAM (which is rare), you will pay a premium for it.
    As far as I can tell, there is no SO-DIMM DDR4 16GB single stick RAM with CL12. CL14 yes, but CL12? Nope... not even close (at least, not in UK).

To top it off, Helios 500 BIOS is locked.
    We cannot ensure that even if people populate all 4 RAM slots with tight timings (if they find them) that the RAM will actually run like that.

3. Uckaynotebook

Uckaynotebook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply guys. Waiting for black friday deals. :)

SMGJohn likes this.
  4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Case in point the best I could get for my AW 13 R3 which does NOT support XMP is HyperX kit 2666Mhz @ CL15 and also I have no control over memory OC as well.

5. Uckaynotebook

Uckaynotebook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply, In your tests, whats the best timing did you got for your Kingston HyperX 2400 Ram? On Amazon website it says 2400 mhz 14-14-14. Can that go lower? This RAM discussion is interesting.

6. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes you can go lower, but is risky to do with ryzen master. I already do this with dual rank ram (2400mhz 2x16gb) and single rank ram (2x8gb) but i had few nasty blue screens. And for each custom timing you need to test it for whole 6-10h in memtest or prime95 to be completly stable.

7. jmthomas1987

jmthomas1987 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Was looking for a DTR to replace my aging Dell Precision M6700 and ran across the AMD version of the H500 by chance.

I like the specs I am seeing, but I use Linux quite a bit and after seeing some of the comments early on in this thread, don't know if I should really consider this laptop.

Without Preadator Sense on Linux, does a person have any fan control other than what might be from the BIOS? Also, how stable is it on Linux? Much crashing or driver issues?

Have around a $2k budget, but really like the AMD specs for my work software (Autocad Civil 3d and Revit), plus I want to learn Blender.

Any input would be appreciated.

8. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Ubuntu 18.04 ran ok for me. The amdgpu drivers will have the same issue related to the screen being unusable when waking from S3 sleep. In theory hibernation would work fine same as it does in Windows.

The default fan curves are actually pretty nice. The machine has such an overbuilt cooling system that it just doesn't get very hot or loud. It wouldn't be hard to make a notebook fancontrol profile for it however. I would use Windows to create it so you can watch EC registers with RWeverything as you change fan speeds in PredatorSense.

The touchpad can operate in two modes. "Basic" which is PS/2 with limited gesture support (but probably more compatible and reliable) and "Advanced" which turns it into an I2C device where it shows up as a precision touchpad in Windows. It is possible to disable secure boot if you set an Administrator password in the bios.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

9. jmthomas1987

jmthomas1987 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you for the info.

I normally run Linux Mint as my primary distro in a 2-partition root/home setup, plus a third partition for testing other distros. Been trying to get familiar with Manjaro right now.

With what you posted, that gives me confidence about buying this laptop as my new primary system. Now just to price out more memory and larger hard drives.

10. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Linux does run fine, but I would not suggest using it as a primary system. As you may have heard, Acer support isn't great and if the motherboard randomly dies you are looking at a 3-4 week repair time if they even have the part available.

Have you considered a Precision 7740 or Clevo N970TF? I have used both of those machines and they run Linux great.