Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Did any of the latest drivers solve the static noise problem?

2. crimson_volna

crimson_volna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I didn't test that, but for some reason this driver made my core clocks highly unstable. They would rise up to 1400 in games with 60 fps lock where at max clocks reach 1000 depending on the complexity of a scene. Had to roll back cause temps were going up as well.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Weird.
    Is this on a stock card or did you modify its clocks at all?
    If you modified the clocks, try using the drivers on stock or at least don't touch the core clocks but OC the VRAM to 950 or 960MhZ.

crimson_volna likes this.
  4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The 19.11.2 drivers still had the static noise issue.

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well that's no good.
    Have you tried contacting Acer support about it?
    Them not fixing this problem still is a real issue.
    Drivers up until 19.5.2 work fine, so there's that, but anything after that causes the static noise whenever the display gets switched off.
    I tried raising this issue with Acer on two occasions (while I still had the laptop) but nothing was done.

My refund should have gone through and was thinking of ordering this 'beast' from Amazon USA - would still cost me less with the import fees vs what I paid for Helios 500 here in UK directly.
    What do you guys think?
    Should I pull the trigger on it or should I just keep using the E5420 for now and wait until Zen 2 units come out?
    Hopefully, Acer will upgrade this model with 3700x (at least) and Navi 5700 (and won't repeat the same mistake with the RAM).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  6. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    I haven't tried contacting them about it.

I was planning on trying Windows 10 1909 on mine before I sell it, just to see if and how it runs.

7. crimson_volna

crimson_volna Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's the thing, everything was at stock. It was really strange. After that I just rolled back and everything seems to be just fine.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Something to note.
    Acer might be waiting for B550 chipset to roll out before they make another Helios 500 with Zen 2 and Navi.
    If history is any indication, Asus made the GL702ZC with B350 chipset, whereas Acer did the Helios 500 with B450.

B550 is still not out yet, so its possible they could update the Helios 500 with Zen 2 and Navi once the B550 is released... otherwise, they'd need to rework the existing model by updating the BIOS to support Zen 2 CPU's (something which they evidently don't wish to do as of yet, or at all because that way they might get backlash from users who bought the current model - but we complained before and they couldn't really care less) and in the process would need to change the GPU from V56 to RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT.

If they are indeed waiting for that, I'd be willing to hold off and get that version instead... I just hope if they do that, they won't create a B550 mobo with 4 RAM slots, but instead, 2 RAM slots which are easily accessed, and slap in 3200 MhZ RAM (or at least 3000 MhZ one).

9. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Seems reasonable if this experiment was deemed a success by Acer.

Why don't you like the current 4? I'd want them to keep 4 slots and add ECC support. Real mobile workstation albeit in a gamer outfit.:)

10. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    Ideally the gaming laptop would have two slots, with a priority of as fast speed as possible for two sticks. They could also make a workstation version, with four slower slots. If they do announce something it will likely be at CES in two months. I wouldn't be surprised if we also saw an Alienware Area 51m V2 AMD variant. They already just released a desktop using that B550A chipset. It would also be weird if you could mix and match AMD / Intel CPU's with AMD / Nvidia GPU's. Probably the first time ever for a laptop if they end up doing that with the new 51m.