Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    It's what let's me love my t440p, 1080p ips, 4980hq, 16GB 2133mhz, 3 drives, iris pro, 8 hours battery life. Maybe cost me 300 usd altogether. Use it for work and writing at home. Couldn't be happier with a 14" workhorse.

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Or that something as simple as a BIOS update could corrupt the entire BIOS and turn the laptop into an expensive paperweight.
    It's ridiculous that in 2019 Acer (or any other laptop manufacturers) made 0 effort to improve their BIOS upgrades to the point where new hw microcode would be implemented to support new technology (especially in systems with removable CPU's and components based off desktop hw), along with contingencies to avoid corruption of the BIOS and easy/simple retrieval of the BIOS version you tried to upgrade from.

3. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The AMD Thinkpads are awesome, I have the first series they did and the newer ones, they all work really well, the P series are overpriced and under performed unless you can find one for a proper price.
    Only thing is they soldered memory on the 12,5 inch ones which is disgusting. There is plenty of room for sockets in those.
    You can also unlock full potential of these APU by removing TDP limit, someone did 45W LOL but damn it was a performer, look into it, its pretty cool having 45W APU delivering pretty stellar gaming performance.

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

4. y590

y590 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I picked up one of these on Prime day. I swapped the nvme for a 2TB intel 660p. Been happy with it. Can it play Red Dead Redemption 2? Has anyone tried RDR2 on this hardware? Benchmarks show that the game likes the desktop vega 56 as much as a desktop gtx 1080.

5. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    With a bit tweaking you can easily do over 60 with Vega 56 with a mix mash of high and ultra.
    Look on YouTube for tutorials on the matter also you might want to overclock the V56 in that laptop and get extra performance which helps a lot.

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Usually there's little point in pushing ultra quality in games. The difference between high and ultra are most of the times unnoticeable, so personally, I wouldn't bother with ultra on new games.

As for overclocking the vega 56... That would certainly be good, but overclocking the hbm/vram would usually produce better results rather than core clocks would.

7. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    What memory type do you guys have on the Helios Vega? I know my Samsung memory will easily do 1100MHz without artefacts using Vega 64 vBIOS

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Since Helios 500 Vega 56 is based on the desktop version, it has HBM2.
    Predator Helios 500 V56 HBM is clocked at 800 MhZ if I'm not mistaken.., but before this BIOS fiasco happened, I DID manage to overclock the VRAM to 950MhZ with stock core clocks.
    I don't think we can go (reliably) past that point (without diminishing returns) on the VRAM. The core can certainly be overclocked though, but VRAM overclock tends to give better results

9. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    It depends if its Hynix or Samsung, Vega 56 tend to get better stability and speed with Samsung memory.
    Core clocks should also be raised as with Hynix you tend to be limited to 900MHz or so most of the time some will do up to 950.
    But depending on the memory type there is in the laptop.

10. Uckaynotebook

Uckaynotebook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine is Samsung, I can go 960 Mhz stable. I sometimes can push it to 980 as long as I keep my Vram temperature below 60 degrees.