Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Acershop over here already has it in stock, however I am afraid to buy one :/

No reviews yet, so no telling if its better, worse or same regarding performance in games compared to the 8750h+gtx1070 model.

Seeing vega56+gtx1070 benchmarks on youtube the vega falls behind significantly in many games :/ (has been a long Time since I used amd)

hmscott likes this.
  2. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ok, I'll pass this model.
    Price is about the same as the 8750h+gtx1070 model, but performance is much lower.
    Depending game the difference is 3-18%.

The Vega56 in this laptop has lowered core clock. The performance is about GTX1070 MaxQ level.

You can consider this laptop to be equiped with AMD Vega56 MaxQ :D

Gaming benchmarks:

[​IMG]

2 Helios 500 laptops (8750h+gtx1070, ryzen7+vega56) were tested and the results compared.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Vega 56 has lowered tdp. Have to bump it back up to 150w watts bit that's why everyone wants reviews.

jclausius, hmscott and quadcricket like this.
  4. quadcricket

quadcricket Newbie

Reputations:
    I am mainly interested in this laptop because of the open-source Vulkan drivers. I've been wanting to switch to Linux full-time and the new Proton tech from Valve has been making waves. I want to see some current reviews first but if they are any sort of decent I am pulling the trigger on this model. Also, no Meltdown exploit performance hit and 16 threads. That would be nice.

downloads and hmscott like this.
  5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Im interested in the reviews but I also want to see how soft moddable they can be.

Like for instance how much trouble it would be to make the Vega 56 GPU that is at 120w TDP run at 150w TDP. Acer is advertising open overclocking so we'll see how limited it is.

I also want to know if you can run faster system memory as well.

quadcricket and hmscott like this.
  6. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So where exactly were they tested? Searching for reviews only link old previews and that old laptop media one that didn't say too much. Searching for that diagram didn't give any result.

There is no thorough review with the kind of details I need. That the 1070 would be faster was already obvious (from the old review + previews) but that doesn't mean the Intel solution is generally better.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anything further on this laptop anywhere? I cant find anything new on this at all. Its almost like Acer are not really interested in marketing this laptop.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    B&H have a listing, "New Item - Coming Soon - $2,199.00", give them a call and ask about it, please come back and let us all know what B&H have to say. :)

Acer 17.3" Predator Helios 500 Gaming Notebook
    B&H # ACPH5NH3GAA1
    MFR # NH.Q3GAA.001

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...n_nI3QIVENtkCh3uuARCEAkYASABEgKoTPD_BwE&smp=y

Request Stock Alert

New Item - Coming Soon
    $2,199.00

Free Expedited Shipping
    Product Highlights
    • 3.2GHz AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core-Core
    • 16GB DDR4 | 256GB SSD
    • 17.3" FHD 1920x1080 FreeSync IPS Display
    • AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 GPU (8GB HBM2)
    • 10/100/1000 MB/s Gigabit Ethernet
    • 802.11ac Wi-Fi | Bluetooth 5.0
    • USB Type-C | HDMI | DisplayPort
    • Windows 10 Home
    Acer Predator Helios 500 Ryzen/Vega 56 (PH517-61-R0GX) On Amazon
    09-08-2018, 08:06 AM
    https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...ios-500-ryzen-vega-56-ph517-61-r0gx-on-amazon

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  9. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Too little too late?

Hopefully they spent their time tweaking the proc & Vega, but I doubt it.

Also weird that a Ryzen 2700 isn't used more for professional laptops, it would give Acer an edge against the competition. It's at its 'worst' performance as a gaming processor.

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's an odd response given you just suggested people buy an "old" 8700k + 1080 and skip the new RTX / 9xxx from Nvidia / Intel. :)
    It's a new market for AMD, and Brands that have been stuck puking out Intel garbage for years - culminating with Intel failing to deliver 10nm - laptop makes should be eager to incorporate new AMD desktop and laptop CPU's / GPU's / APU's.

I'd imagine the Acer / Asus engineers competed over which of them had a shot at designing the new AMD "desktop" CPU laptops.

Each new AMD laptop release should be an improvement on the last, but there are so many variables between design and delivery, every laptop needs reviews by owners - and time to get to know the tuning of the new laptop.

I wouldn't worry about Ryzen 2 + Vega 56 mobile being "too late", Intel has failed forward for years - way too late year after year on delivering the promised 10nm, AMD is right on time in comparison.

With that shining example of 10nm failure set by Intel - disappointing so many PC and laptop makers - AMD has many nice windows of opportunity ahead of Intel's recovery, likely for the next few years, maybe much longer.