Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How about Clevo? They have 6 core and 8 core offerings with RTX 2060 or 2070 for pretty reasonable pricing.
    Sure the build quality is not as premium but those machines have the support of the Clevo community which has to be the best laptop community imao hands down and not to mention custom BIOS.
    Really annoyed with AMD lack of dedication for high performance laptops myself but there nothing to do about it, they recently stopped selling the Helios 500 in my country too.

Fact is it you want high end notebooks then Shintel and nGreedia are the only realistic options. The Quadro RTX pricing gives me cancer though.

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    7 years of support is really solid.
    See, THAT's what laptop manufacturers (all of them) should be doing.

Acer can still 'step up' by delivering a BIOS microcode update for Zen 2 and next year for Zen 3.
    The latest AGESA microcode update has a large number of modifications (to say the least) and that's just for Zen 2.
    I don't mind the lack of MXM GPU... because quite frankly, any potential upgrade in GPU would probably cost quite a bit given how absurd prices of mobile components are... plus, by the time Vega 56 becomes slow, you'll probably want to buy a new system altogether (Which would likely happen in about 4 years... maybe 5).

In the meantime, it would be nice if Acer included Zen 2 and Zen 3 support (along with support for faster RAM).
    Depending on one's preference, if Acer included microcode upgrades for Zen 2 and 3, I'd probably upgrade the Helios with a 65W TDP Zen 3 CPU and far faster RAM.

3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Subtract security updates and that is likely to be far less

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    You would only see good support like that on business models. Sadly consumer models support is an afterthought. Then again it mostly doesn't matter because whatever model available two years from now will be 50% faster so it makes more sense to buy cheap and upgrade more often.

5. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Acer could have done well treating this as a mobile workstation, remove the gamer aesthetics and add a magnesium inner chassis and voilá: a true desktop replacement. Keyboard is fine, screen is fine, GPU power is more than fine (many mobile workstations have low performance GPU) and with some extra ca$h to AMD could have the Radeon Pro label, processor power is very high and could be even higher with Zen 2/Zen 3 support. I guess ECC support wouldn't be there but then most mobile workstations do without it.

6. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ryzen supports ECC as long as the motherboard is certified for it, and if Acer made it a workstation they most likely would have certified it for ECC

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

7. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    They have released frequent bios updates, just not with zen 2 support, which they never advertised. You can still upgrade the cpu to a 2700x if you absolutely need more power, so even if they had advertised that as a feature (which I don't think they did), it's not incorrect. I would love for them to release an update to support zen2 it but I think expecting it is over the top.

Your bios issues are not common, and it sounds like there's an issue on the repair by your retailer. I've had mine for a year so far and updated the bios 3 times in that span without issue. It still runs excellently and I don't feel like I got ripped off at all. It's still one of the fastest laptops available, especially cpu wise. If you unlock the gpu and fully OC the system, it will compete with laptops that cost 2x as much. If you feel like you got ripped off, it's more your fault than the system tbh.

Uckaynotebook and win32asmguy like this.
  8. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is incorrect, mxm are removable graphics cards by definition (mobile pci express module), the v56 in the helios 500 is not removable, therefore cannot be an mxm. There is no such thing as an mxm graphics card integrated into the motherboard, that's just an integrated dgpu.

9. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Please can't we drop the MXM discussion? It isn't relevant anyway...
    Unrelated fun fact: the irritating startup sound takes almost 1MB of the 16MB ROM.

10. Uckaynotebook

Uckaynotebook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    On that note, sometimes my computer post and shows that predator logo but dont boot to windows. I had to press ctr alt delete to restart and loads normally to windows. This usually happens when doing a cold boot on the unit. Its weird, Just a little inconvenience.