Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would be up for doing that later as if it bricks the V56 I can always flash it back as my left/right monitors are on an external GPU. I doubt it would work TBH as Vega 56 Mobile is proberbly about as different from reference Vega 56 as a custom Sapphire Nitro is, if not more. However what worries me though is flashing the BIOS from a 210w TDP card to a 120w TDP card, especially as 210w is beyond the MXM spec.

2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This GPU is BGA anyway, not MXM, not to mention the more robust MXM slots in MSI and Clevo DTRs can handle well over 200W without external power and not have issues. If you’re gonna raise the TDP by that much I’d take a look at the GPU VRMs first and try to find out what is within spec, and keep them well-cooled.

Papusan likes this.
  3. Lennart Farris

Lennart Farris Newbie

Reputations:
    I mailed amd for my own part. And i suppose its a good idea if others also start to contact both amd and acer to hopefully get a solution to this problem. Its a shame if they can not do anything because its a really nice laptop otherwise.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Andrew H

Andrew H Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    At +75% power target, it'll draw 210w. Complete system power draw under full synthetic load reaches 285w from the wall, still within the 330w power brick spec. Hits 78°C. I've also re-pasted and added new thermal pads to all the mosfets within a month of owning it because I never trust manufacturer applied cooling solutions, so ymmv on thermals.

The soldered on chip is on a PCI-E 16x bus, essentially just skipping the socket and electrically routing it directly to the CPU.

But yeah, as ubersonic points out... Every aftermarket variant desktop card has their own VBIOS, so flashing probably won't work, or be very unstable. I may use ATI flash to compare a desktop reference one to this BGA one to see where they differ. It doesn't make sense to me that this has wake from sleep issues where a desktop one won't because architecturally they're the same.

I'm also curious if Enduro works. If I put in let's say a 2200G, if I brick the dedicated flashing it, if it'll use the on-chip. But I'm probably well into the weeds on this idea.

5. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can you post 3d mark fire strike and time spy score? I would like to know if is worth it to go past 1500mhz.

6. Uckaynotebook

Uckaynotebook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there, how did you change the stock voltage on this card? I tried modifying power tables or change it by wattman/afterburner but always revert to default. How did you able to increase clockspeed? Mine is not stable past 1456 mhz at stock voltage. thanks man

7. Andrew H

Andrew H Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1200 point increase in performance just in letting it use more juice.

To unlock voltage control, I used MSI afterburner, and I disabled ULPS, and enabled Allow Voltage Control and Allow Voltage monitoring. Due to the VRM limits, the voltage is locked at exactly 1v, or 1,000mv. A V-BIOS mod could push that up but with shared Mosfets between the GPU and CPU dies, I don't recommend it.

I changed the P6 and P7 states. P6 I changed to stock desktop Vega 56 boost clock of 1474mhz. P7 I set it at 1,600mhz. I set the overall allowable maximum to 1,800mhz, and the power limit to +50%. It seems to comfortably hang around 1,570 mhz under gaming load, at a reasonable fan speed and temperature limit. I did try for higher, with a 75% power target, but Assassins Creed Odyssey crashed the driver after about an hour of gameplay and backing it off to the numbers above did make it stable for hours. And gained nearly 8-10fps in game, which at 3440x1440, Ultra, going from 48fps to nearly 60 is night and day.

But just a disclaimer, your mileage may vary, and I'm sure differences in silicon quality, and board manufacturing quality will change your results. Powerplay table modding is relatively safe, as if you bork your settings, just use DDU to remove and reinstall your driver, but I don't know the longevity of the power delivery will be with it pulling 180w-220w (+50% to +75% respectively). I figured theres enough safeties in modern silicon these days that if it didn't like it, it would just not work. But I am well within the power limit of the adapter.

8. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Voltage control not working and modifying power tables wont work in any case because is locked in bios.

Voltage control not working, i have better score and gpu runs cooler just with 1480mhz.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/20699906

Anything beyond 900mv you need a custom bios or stock vega 56 bios.

9. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wasn't saying that it would have issues just pointing out that it would be out of spec for the GPUs MXM design.

10. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Once again, this GPU is BGA not MXM. Look up the data sheet for the power FETs on the GPU’s VRM section to find out what’s a safe current/power draw.