Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's not an assumption, I've run mine at 4.0ghz all core at 1.35V without issue which is in the 125W region for power use. With fans on max it tops out around 78C. I usually leave them on auto which maintains around 85C. There doesn't appear to be a power limitation on the CPU side, at least with normal CPU limits. A 3900X should run fine at stock.

hmscott and xdyphx like this.
  2. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Guys. This is an emergency:
    I installed the latest bios into the laptop (1.09).
    It seems that it killed the machine.
    It activates but refuses to post.

Ideas and options?
    Any way to restore the bios to previous version without rma-ing the unit?

Or do I need to send it to acer for RMA?
    And if so, will I need to pay for the repair? How can I avoid paying for the repairs btw as I'm not in a good position with cash?
    Avoid telling them I installed the latest bios and just tell them the machine decided to stop posting suddenly?

The display is not activating and keyboard lights have returned to stock.

This is insane. I need the laptop to work for college classes and now this happens.
    It's unacceptable that Acer released a faulty BIOS update in 2019 that kills the machine.
    They should have a bios restore option available.

I tried holding FN and ESC keys together when powering up the laptop with a usb flash drive (formatted to fat32) v1.08 bios extracted onto it from the exe file..
    And while the power indicator light started blinking as it should, the usb stick did not activate at all.
    I can try another usb stick and see if that works, but not sure.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  4. Uckaynotebook

Uckaynotebook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think its covered by their warranty. I had issue with mine last time when I set memory latency too low. I just reset my cmos, but I think that wont work in your laptop.

5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Try the other USB ports. Sometimes recovery flashing is specific

6. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Contact Acer to know how recovery should be done on this specific machine, sometimes there's some quirk. One common thing is that the drive should be small (I have a low capacity drive for just that purpose).

bennyg likes this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I used an 8gb flash drive (don't have a 4GB one at my disposal) formatted to fat32. I didn't have the option to format to fat16.
    I also tried formatting to NTFS, but the stick still isn't activating.
    And yes, I tried different USB ports, but still nothing.

I had an issue with this machine and bootable USB sticks before when I tried to do a clean Windows install.
    I had to use RUFUS to format my stick to a UEFI bootable option I think (there were several to choose from), otherwise, the stick would simply not activate (and of course I couldn't do a fresh Windows install because the setup said it cannot detect the partition or something).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Via phone or support ticket, or which option?

9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    These are the same symptoms my machine had when it died. Did you try the battery reset switch directly above the SSD slots? I believe it has to be held for 30 seconds to perform an EC reset - but Acer support would know for sure since they have access to the service manual.

Does your machine still have warranty coverage? If it does then you just have to pay shipping costs to the repair center, and they should cover the repair and return shipping. I spent a week or so trying to recover my machine but eventually had to give up and ship it to the repair center. I think they must have ordered the replacement parts from Taiwan because it took about three weeks to complete the repair.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I took the machine to one of the PC World shops nearby (as I bought it online from their website).
    Since its still under warranty (its only 6 moths old), Acer customer service told me that I should take it to PC World because I bought it off them, so I need to deal with them.
    The technical support guy at PC World was much better to talk to though as the line was also clearer and I could actually understand what he said.

I was told that for repairs like this they need to send it off to a proper lab for reflashing, and that I could have it back in a few days, or up a week (so, next Tuesday) - which was confirmed more or less by the guy at PC World... but I won't hold my breadth in case they need to order a replacement motherboard - though realistically, this shouldn't happen because its just a faulty BIOS updata.

Obviously, it would be great if I can get the machine back in 7 days, but we'll see what happens.

What I don't understand is this:
    Why did Acer release this BIOS update in the first place?
    Aren't they supposed to check if the update will actually WORK?
    Plus, why doesn't the BIOS/UEFI have a backup section of a latest functional version in cases of faulty BIOS updates such as this one so that recovery can be done at home automatically?
    Its' 2019, you'd think the laptop would have a fail-safe mechanism in case the BIOS update isn't working as it should - and its not like its impossible to implement.

Anyway, my (sadly, painfully learned) advice would be, STAY AWAY from 1.09 BIOS update.

Did anyone else try updating the BIOS to 1.09 only for the machine not post?

Btw, all other BIOS releases including 1.08 version seem to work fine.