Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, I really don't understand modern TDP definitions. :)

hmscott likes this.
  2. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tell you why acer picked 2700 instead 2700x, 2700 have much better voltage control (2700x spikes really high because is faster and is agressive) and is probally unstable (ok it is) when you perform multiple tasks on battery at the same time (gaming, yt music and internet). Another reason is, you dont really need 2700x for gaming, both can handle 4.0ghz (but 2700x is cooler under load). Because of voltage spikes 2700x can became really noisy because cpu can (and want) reach higher clocks.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  3. Uckaynotebook

Uckaynotebook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can you overclock your 2700x on our system? That would Eat too much power dont you think?

hmscott likes this.
  4. xdyphx

Reputations:
    It works at 4.0ghz stable 24/7, but i use it at 3.9ghz with increased gpu power limit and it works without problems. And remember, gaming is not stresfull for cpu, draws only 70w max in gta5.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Uckaynotebook

Reputations:
    I see
    I remember you said you reached 1559 mhz on your vega 56 and almost Got to 1080 level performance. How Did you Change your voltages on your gpu?
    1450 mhz seems to be the limit in mine, since I cant Change My voltage.

hmscott likes this.
  6. xdyphx

Reputations:
    Its funny because in predatorsense files you can see max 1451mhz overclocked by acer, probaly is locked from acer in preinstaled windows. All i can say, try with new windows or wipe driver with ddu. I tried all drivers and all drivers works with 1501-1511/950mhz stable at stock voltage.

And i beat stock 1080 :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    hmscott and Uckaynotebook like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It looks like BIOSTAR removed the 3900 / 65w reference and only the 3900x / 105w remains. I had seen the 3900 / 65w mentioned elsewhere before this as an AMD Pro sku.

Here's Tom's Hardware's take:

AMD's Upcoming Ryzen 9 3900 Listed With 12 Zen 2 Cores at 65W
    by Zhiye Liu September 26, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-9-3900-specs-pro-cpu,40485.html

"...It's unknown when AMD will launch the Ryzen 9 3900 and Ryzen 9 Pro 3900. The chipmaker is probably busy building up stock for the Ryzen 9 3950X, which has been pushed to November, and preparing the Ryzen Threadripper 3000-series release. On top of that, TSMC is reportedly in a bit of a pickle. The foundry's 7nm business has been booming lately, and high demand has increased the lead time from 2 months to 6 months. This could have an impact on AMD's CPU production."

It's all up in the air now what with 7nm production not being able to meet demand for AMD Ryzen / Navi chips... hopefully TSMC adds shifts or converts fab space to 7nm production.

8. Uckaynotebook

Reputations:
    Even at stock settings our ryzen 2700 can still match recently released desktop replacement laptops. It would be Great if we can upgrade it to zen2 but im happy with what i have right now.

8 core cpu with capable vega 56, that can surpass 2060 and match 2070 max q with tuning.

$1299 Compared to $3000 laptops

hmscott, SMGJohn and xdyphx like this.
  9. xdyphx

Reputations:
    2700 is still one of the best cpus for laptops, only i9 9980hk is better which you need to pay premium for such a minimal upgrade.

hmscott and Uckaynotebook like this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Indeed.
    Not worth the price or performance difference.
    The 2700 seems plenty powerful enough.

Some rumors seem to suggest that Zen 3 will come with SMT4 and 4 threads per core.
    That's interesting if accurate. It means that an 8 core CPU (such as say 4700x - if AMD names it that) might come with 32 threads total.

However, what would be the impact of having double the amount of threads per core in regards to power consumption?
    Would the cpu have higher, same or lower TDP?

From Intel, we seem to know that hyperthreading increases peak power consumption but lowers average power consumption.

Taking 7nm+ into consideration, we could potentially see same clocks and boosts as existing Zen2 parts, but with primary changes being with uArch tuning and inclusion of SMT4, whereas higher clocked versions would obviously have higher peak power demands.

It also depends on how AMD goes about this, right?
    I think I read something about AMD simply using current uArch more efficiently by maxing out its 'potential' within the core... so this implementation could potentially mean no change in power consumption despite increase in threads.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    hmscott and xdyphx like this.