Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is an easy fix, go to the video card in device manager, roll back the driver and tell it to no longer update this device automatically. This will prevent Windows from overwriting the display drivers in the future.

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Where is the option to tell it to no longer update the device automatically?
    Because, I think its already disabled... but Windows Update still downloads the generic drivers for Vega and makes Radeon Settings inoperable.

3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Shutup10 also provides that functionality amongst other things.

I use it as well for all my machines to prevent in-needed driver "upgrades"

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I use wushowhide to block the driver update.

5. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's an option when you roll back the driver - so process is this, update the driver, let (or force) windows to update and presumably overwrite the just installed driver, then roll back the driver via device manager and tell it not to update again. This should stop auto driver updates for that device.

Alternately, if you don't want it to update any drivers, you can do this:
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

6. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I really found a killer use for this thing today - Oculus Quest + ReliveVR connected directly to the built in 5g wireless on the Helios. Gives full on PC VR, but portable and with no cords attached to the headset.

hmscott likes this.
  7. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    They released a new driver yesterday (9/12) and it still has the issue waking from sleep. Kind of a pita, basically means I either leave it running, shut it all the way down or hibernate it instead of sleep. Luckily it boots in about 10 seconds so it's not a big deal.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Have you tried hibernate or enabling Hybrid sleep to see if it reacts differently?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/difference-between-sleep-hybrid-sleep-and-hibernation-in-windows-7

https://www.howtogeek.com/128507/htg-explains-should-you-shut-down-sleep-or-hibernate-your-laptop/

I've been annoyed with the constant interruption of successful sleep mode for so long, new drivers or OS updates breaking sleep, that I gave up on it long ago. For other reasons - saving disk space on the C partition mostly - I disable hibernation too, so I just do a shutdown - or carry the laptop from room to room - closing the lid with the option set to do nothing when lid is closed.

win32asmguy likes this.
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, but the new driver (19.9.2) may have been too close to the release of me raising the problem with AMD technical support.
    AMD might not have had enough time to implement a solution (if they even found it).
    The fix might come with the next version instead.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    AMD “will consider adding support” for RIS on Vega, but has no plans to right now

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/vega-radeon-image-sharpening

Seriously?
    They skip this on the grounds of 'popularity'?
    Meh... I'm starting to think AMD decided to shun Vega completely (which might explain latest driver problems Helios 500 users experience with static noise on screen when bringing the laptop out of sleep mode and some other issue desktop users experienced).