Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    AMD “will consider adding support” for RIS on Vega, but has no plans to right now

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/vega-radeon-image-sharpening

Seriously?
    They skip this on the grounds of 'popularity'?
    Meh... I'm starting to think AMD decided to shun Vega completely (which might explain latest driver problems Helios 500 users experience with static noise on screen when bringing the laptop out of sleep mode and some other issue desktop users experienced).

2. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hibernate seems to work fine so I switched to that.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    But RAL already works on all GCN and RDNA GPUs?

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Great idea, here's the current counts:
    AMD Survey current results.JPG

I didn't see an option for "ray-tracing support" :)

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Neither have I, however (admittedly), I was not even looking for it.

AMD said they will integrate raytracing probably into RDNA2 that's coming next year.
    This could imply hw level of implementation, but I'm not sure.
    Their patent for RT doesn't seem to imply specialized hw for RT but rather a different approach to using existing hw and software.

If it does use proprietary hw, I'm not too bothered with it given that it's still a feature that I don't really need in games.

If they can enable the RT feature via driver updates, I'd be all for it. But if that happens it will probably be for newest GPUs rather than the older ones (at least at first).

Right now I'd rather AMD focused on enabling the above features on all their GPUs they can along with improving latency and stability.

I'd also like to see better support from pro software for AMD hw. If AMD can somehow collaborate with the devs so they'd start using open source solutions more than NV proprietary ones (as the open source would work on NV as well without issues - any of which can be resolved via simple driver support), that would be acceptable.

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's the last "leak" that a game developer spilled about Console RT-RT being in Console hardware, which is interesting as AMD has said nothing, just like in that survey.

If nothing else that means AMD doesn't consider RT-RT open to user choice, kinda like Nvidia, it's just pushed on us along with the extra costs.

If they (AMD / Nvidia) asked me I said wait another 5-10 years, wait for the hardware to catch up so that's not a sacrifice to FPS or developers time.

Ray-tracing is not worth spending 50% more on silicon and time for development, and to take time from the development of games wasting time integrating the changes required.

Game developers that have decided to pass on RT-RT - putting it at the bottom of their lists of things to do aren't giving in to Nvidia pressure, and now apparently AMD pressure.

RT-RT is a waste of time and resources in trade for nothing I am interested in. Games already looked amazing, and I'm not fooled by games that dull down their non-RT looks to make RT ON stand out, it's a shell game - the game was already pretty don't hide it under the RT-RT shell game.

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm playing Control game on my Helios 500 easily enough without RT, and quite frankly, the only difference you'd notice it on was glass, however, the game itself is already designed to look quite good anyway, so RT doesn't really 'add' anything to the game except a visual gimmick.
    I even maxed out the game and the laptop is still barely more audible than without being fully stressed and runs great (I think the FPS is a bit below 60 fully maxed out, but its not that noticeable).
    I'd need to play with the undervolting a bit on the GPU as I'd like to optimize it a bit (its always good to undervolt if possible - especially in a laptop), but otherwise I'm happy with what I have.

Control as a game though... meh its a tad boring to be honest (but works fine with 19.5.2 drivers).
    Sure, I could probably extract more performance and hit 60FPS (or over) with driver updates (but without undervolting and/or HBM overclock), but until AMD fixes the static noise problem, not worth the hassle.

Like I said, if AMD can bring RT to all their GPU's with driver upgrades, I'd be all for it... but otherwise, not hard pressed about it... and instead, I'd prefer they focus on integrating existing features across their GPU lines, improving performance, stability, and lowering latency.
    Since AMD is using Open Source to get all the 'features'... they'd be more or less implementable with driver upgrades for time to come across their entire GPU line (or at least from Polaris onwards - Vega included).

hmscott likes this.
  9. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Pretty comical considering the V56/64 were the best selling high end AMD cards released in years (admittedly the majority went into bitcoin mines but they can't prove that! :p).

hmscott likes this.
  10. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have anyone else ever had a problem with waking from sleep? As in apparently not even attempting with a black screen and power+battery LEDs on?

hmscott likes this.