Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    AMD committed to fixing the mobile GPU drivers situation end of last year, and have done so:

AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics
    AMD Ryzen Mobile laptop - Enter the Fast Lane

Featuring the world’s fastest processor for ultrathin laptops1, the AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ RX Vega 10 Graphics.
    https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-processors-laptop

Click on "Learn More" for your specific GPU and follow links to latest (and previous) driver downloads. Click on the "DRIVERS & SUPPORT" link at the top of the page for your GPU.

The desktop GPU's in laptops should be supported by desktop drivers, and if not then complain to AMD that those mobile desktop GPUs need to be included in the mobile GPU support ongoing.

Here's the Reddit coverage back when AMD announced to take up support of the mobile GPU drivers:

AMD Ryzen Mobile Driver Update
    Submitted 9 months ago by AMDOfficial Official AMD Account
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9yxdu4/amd_ryzen_mobile_driver_update

"Feedback is a critical part of how AMD delivers great products. You have made it clear we have room for improvement on graphics driver updates for AMD Ryzen Mobile processor-based notebooks, both for APU-only platforms and discrete GPU notebook designs. It is important to understand that our graphics drivers are typically tailored for specific OEM platforms, so releasing generic APU graphics drivers across all AMD Ryzen mobile processor-based mobile systems could result in less-than-ideal user experiences. So what can AMD do?

We are committing to work with our OEMs to increase the release frequency of AMD Ryzen Mobile processor graphics drivers. Starting in 2019, we will target enabling OEMs to deliver a twice-annual update of graphics drivers specifically for all AMD Ryzen Mobile processor-based systems. Because the release is ultimately up to the OEMs, this may vary from platform to platform, but we want to put out a clear goal for us and our OEM partners. Those updates should be available for download on the respective OEM websites.

In addition, AMD will continue to evaluate ways in which we can offer validated graphics drivers for AMD Ryzen Mobile processor-based notebooks aligned to the latest AMD software updates, and will provide updates as soon as we are able. Thank you to the community of AMD users who voice their opinions on this issue."

Zatserkovnyy 1 point 6 months ago*
    "This is a bad way. I bought a laptop based on AMD. And I can not play some games, because they require newer drivers. If nothing changes, this will be my first and last acquaintance with AMD, sorry.

upd. Less than a day and you have released drivers for mobile processors! Thank you!"

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Honestly for the Predator series, driver updates need to be more frequent than every six months. The desktop drivers should simply just work with the laptop, as they do with the Nvidia cards on Intel models. These are gaming laptops after all, and having updated graphics drivers are usually needed to play new release games. If the driver has a bug then instead of pointing fingers AMD should just take ownership of the issue and get it sorted out with Acer.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    IDK if you've noticed, but when you download drivers from Nvidia they are labeled "notebook" and "desktop" depending on what you are downloading.

Now, you can often download "desktop" drivers from Nvidia and use them on a laptop, but also quite often when a new laptop comes out the card codes aren't included in the driver and even "notebook" drivers won't install on a new laptop, and it may be several months before this changes - there are threads here on NBR how to work around that by editing in the ID code for your GPU into the driver config files.

It's true though that AMD needs to do the same for the desktop GPU's in laptops as they've done for the mobile GPU's, provide timely updated drivers - or make the desktop drivers / software 100% compatible.

Given AMD is only just getting back into laptops, I'm sure they know all about these needs and will address them as soon as possible. It may be why we aren't seeing more AMD CPU / GPU laptops as vendor support needs to be staffed and caught up before making a big push into that market.

It's impressive how quickly AMD is responding to every issue that I've seen come up recently, AMD is really dedicated to making it all work for everyone as quickly as possible.

So give AMD a chance, report your problems and desires to their customer feedback channels (post included above) and let them work with you to fix the problems.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, I got a reply from AMD Tech support:
    "Please be informed this has been already escalated to the team internally and its under investigation and will be resolved soon with the latest update which will be available shortly, please wait for the next driver update. I appreciate your patience in this regard.

Thanks for contacting AMD

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I actually agree that this is more OEM responsibility than AMD's.
    In this case, Acer (and Asus) have completely dropped the ball.
    What was the point in making these laptops, charge a premium for them and then drop support a few short months after release?
    Oh wait... profit.
    Both AMD and Asus should have ended up releasing BIOS updates and GPU updates to support these units much like they do for their desktop parts.

Motherboard manufacturers (like Asus) frequently end up releasing BIOS support for years after the product was released (and they get no extra revenue for doing so).
    In the case of laptops, the OEM's negligence is quite frankly criminally offensive and I'm sick of it already. Its 2019... and we're nowhere near OEM's behaving as they should in regards to laptops (they keep locking up the BIOS, make it in some cases impossible to upgrade, etc.).

Should AMD take ownership of these things?
    Probably... but it also takes away responsibility from OEM's to step up and do what they should have done in the first place.
    I can understand OEM's supporting their products for a few years and then dropping support to move on to newer things... but dropping support in totality with desktop grade hw 6 months down the line is moronically offensive.

bennyg likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Wow, that's awesome, are you going to cross communicate that to Acer too via a ticket or email to Acer support?

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Already sent an email to Acer about the driver issue (which included a request for them to consider updating the BIOS to include Zen 2 support too).
    But I may send another one with AMD's response.

win32asmguy, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  8. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    Acer seems to have a "bug has to exist in the current drivers to get an update" stance. So are there any games that have issues if they don't have the latest drivers installed?

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    19.5.2 drivers seem to work pretty great for Vega 56 performance-wise and I hadn't encountered any issues while playing 'Control' game.

Acer could have used those drivers for reference to update their ageing drivers.

Generally, I don't think newest games have a problem unless AMD specifically optimizes the GPU for them to extract more performance and stabilize gameplay - which seems to have been centered around Navi mostly (since none of the changelogs mention Vega fixes/updates after Navi's release, except in the 'known issues' that Vega VII might experience clocks being stuck - something AMD has yet to get around to).
    But staying updated would be recommended for newer games as we cannot expect to be 'cruising' on 19.5.2. drivers indefinitely.
    There are other options to consider that can come from drivers (such as content creation software stability, etc.).

Another problem is that people complained of performance drops on Vega gpu's with latest drivers as well (which was mentioned in an article explaining that 19.6.2 drivers [I think] cause performance drops on Vega as well) - but this issue was never addressed (and it started appearing after AMD released drivers for Navi). Incidentally, it was then I encountered the static noise problems... hence I stayed with 19.5.2 drivers for now.

10. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    That is good to hear that Control works well. I was thinking about picking up Borderlands 3 to see how it works, with both the Acer drivers and 19.5.2. If it needs 19.9.1 or even 19.5.2 to run the game stable or without glitches then maybe that would warrant enough for Acer to provide an update?