Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I received reply from AMD Tech support and this is what they said:
    "Thank you for your email.

I understand your concern,

Please note, AMD provides a reference for AMD Mobility Radeon graphics drivers with limited support for laptop specific features and functions. This is not intended to be used as a replacement for the notebook manufacturer's driver. To know more, please visit https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1336

Also, AMD recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your laptop’s manufacturer as the manufacturer may customize the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. Customized graphics drivers are available for download from most notebook manufacturer's web site.

If the issue still persists

i suggest you to report your issue here: https://www.amdsurveys.com/se/5A1E27D23A3DE966
    "

I did report the issue at amdsurveys link they provided, detailing the problem (but I already did that a while ago when the issue started appearing the first time with 0 reply).

That was not a helpful reply - it was actually useless, since I already knew that clean installing the GPU drivers wouldn't work.
    Seriously, they go on suggesting AMD Mobility Radeon Graphics drivers even after I told them the laptop uses customized desktop Vega 56 and Ryzen 2700 and is a completely different unit vs standard laptops.

This is what I wrote as a reply to tech support:

"Your mobility drivers would not work for this unit since it uses a custom Vega 56 GPU (which is a DESKTOP grade GPU that was modified by Acer).

Acer also stopped supporting the unit shortly after releasing it and therefore have NOT updated their GPU drivers since.
    As usual, because AMD releases new drivers frequently which include many new gaming optimizations, it is necessary to be kept updated, and up until you started releasing Navi GPU's, the driver upgrades worked flawlessly without any static noise issues.
    It is only that the latest drivers are causing this static noise problem.

Please research what you have done differently in regards to the drivers (since you started releasing Navi GPU's) that might have affected Vega 56 in this fashion.

Kind regards"

2. Judge Dredd 3D

Judge Dredd 3D Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also had this issue when I did a clean install of Win10, it was resolved by removing drivers with DDU, installing the latest drivers and then running Windows Update, as soon as you do that the Panel will be recognized as Freesync compatible.

hmscott likes this.
  3. xdyphx

xdyphx Newbie

Reputations:
    I just destroyed gtx 1070 and i can beat stock vega 64 or even gtx 1080 if i want but i dont know if vrms are capable for that clocks. This is my record.
    [​IMG]

EDIT
    I bet even stock gtx 1080 performance in some benchmarks.

Superposition 1080p Extreme
    [​IMG]

3D mark DX11 Fire Strike
    [​IMG]

3D Mark DX11 Fire Strike Ultra
    [​IMG]
    I almost beat my old fully oced GTX1080 in graphic score
    https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/20402553/fs/18865628

3D Mark DX12 Time spy
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, I see notebooks with AMD graphics haven’t changed much since Alienware used AMD’s M200 series graphics. Almost 7 years has gone and not much have changed since then.

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What do you mean?
    Aside from this relatively new issue that cropped up with AMD releasing Navi, their drivers were quite good.
    And yes, they have released Mobility Drivers for their mobile product line rather late, but as I said, my laptop is an 'oddity' of sorts as it uses desktop grade hw... but some people apparently also complained that they can't use newest drivers with Vega 64 because they cause black screens, and performance degradation among other things.

This is the first time I noticed AMD actively 'dropping the ball' in regards to support of previous generation of hw in favor of new one (if that's what's happening).
    Previously, they seemed to have had a good track record on this front with older GPU's experiencing improvements in performance.

6. Papusan

Reputations:
    A few years ago AW Dell used AMD graphics cards in their models. Always driverer problems and few or almost no releases of new drivers. Download drivers from AMD's own page and hope it worked properly become a big pain in the ass for those who went with AMD graphics in their machines. Dell washed their hands and said just use their old drivers. See... Those with AMD graphics was left alone. This wasn't the big problem for those who went with Nvida graphics.

My "laptop is an 'oddity' of sorts ". I know... You don't find much of AMD graphic cards in todays gaming books. And I don't talk about those with deskop chips.

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I didn't mean that the laptop was an oddity in the sense that it has AMD GPU... more to the point, it has a modified DESKTOP GPU in a laptop in a certain configuration.
    And its not like NV laptops didn't have their own issues, but with an all AMD hw, you'd think it would be easier.

But this issue is mainly down to the OEM in that case because Acer was the one that made the laptop and set it up like this - so it should be their responsibility to provide latest drivers... but OEM's (as you know) stop supporting laptops fairly fast - we can't blame AMD for this.

Acer's original drivers DO work fine, and Express upgrade of AMD's own drivers (at least 19.5.2 version) works fine too (Freesync is operational and there is no Static Noise upon waking the laptop up from sleep)... any newer driver from AMD's website however doesn't work properly (either there is performance loss, or static noise issue with drivers that started showing up when Navi was released).

8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know. But this isn't a big problem for those with Nvidia graphics. The main problem with AMD graphics. There ain't much gaming laptops out there who use it. If 50% of all gaming laptops come with AMD graphics I would think this would be a no issue.

My old P870 have the 980 desktop card and LGA socket. Doesn't matter if I use Mobile or desktop graphics drivers.

Guess which one is for AMD graphics in older AW 15?
    upload_2019-9-10_2-37-29.png
    AMD has always been the stepchild with no love.

ole!!! likes this.
  9. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Those AMD equipped machines were dead out the gates. Basically nil support from the get go and from a company that is known to fry their own machines within a couple years time or less.

The m5100 and m6100 both overclocked quite well and driver support was spot on. It's because of those cards that I wanted a wx7100 over anything Nvidia had as AMD is way better when it comes to accessing basic control panel options VS Nvidia that still since long before Fermi takes 5-10 seconds to load and w/e settings changed require application restart to take effect where AMD does not.

Comparing Alienware derivatives to the helios 500 is swinging a bit wide I think.

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Same with the last gen Aw models with MXM graphics as well. AMD drivers support was almost none. And get it to work with divers from AMD's own download page wasn't much better.