Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Stock adapter is 330w

xdyphx likes this.
  2. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The stock adaptor is rated for supplying a maximum of 330w to the laptop, which (ignoring the fact you should never really be maxing out a PSU anyway) means it is not rated for drawing 300 from the wall.

If the PSU is drawing 300w from the wall then depending on PSU efficiency the laptop will be drawing 335w-365w from the PSU.

3. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You got it backwards. If the PSU is 80% efficient, it would be pulling 412.5W from the wall when supplying 330W to the laptop.

Papusan likes this.
  4. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yup, my bad, think its time to go to sleep haha :D

Papusan likes this.
  5. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    It's the same adapter i use for my Ranger, a delta 330w

6. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I edited my last post with some pics :)

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Btw, I sent a request to AMD support about this static noise issue occurring from waking up from sleep mode with latest drivers.
    They suggested I do a clean install of the latest drivers using DDU utility.
    I responded by saying that I can do that, but in the process I will lose Freesync functionality due to the laptop being setup in a custom fashion and asked them is there a way to avoid Freesync from stopping to work (apart from of course installing latest drivers on top of Acer stock ones)... but they said there isn't.

So, I ran DDU, cleaned up the drivers from registry etc. and did a clean install of latest drivers... but alas, the static noise issue keeps appearing after putting the laptop out of sleep mode (which requires a hard shut down and restart to get the display to function properly).
    This is what I reported back to AMD on Friday evening, but of course have yet to receive a reply.

Is it possible that the pre-installed OS could be causing problems too?
    I mean, it seems unlikely, because drivers up until 19.5.2 seem to work properly, but any driver beyond 19.6.1 or 19.6.2 (which slows down Vega performance anyway) seems to produce static noise on the display after bringing the laptop from sleep mode.

Hopefully, this issue will get addressed.
    I also, told them that people losing Freesync functionality on doing a clean install of latest drivers is unacceptable for such a fairly new unit and that they should be in contact with Acer to rectify this problem.

Have Acer tell AMD how they modified the drivers to detect/enable Freesync.
    But I told AMD I'd be ok with a compromise of clean installing Acer stock drivers first and the updating them to latest ones, provided that AMD solves the problem of static noise issue.

8. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I doubt its an issue with the pre-installed OS. I have seen it on Windows 10 1903 (clean install), Ubuntu 18.04.3 using amdpro 19.30 drivers, and MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. One person conjectured that its an issue with power play applying incorrect speeds to Core / HBM on resume but if you connect an external display it always works perfectly and can even run games with the flickering built in display next to it. I also noticed that the static would appear if you allowed the display to turn off while the machine was still running. It may be that EDID isn't being read from the Vega56 bios properly and a good mode with correct timing isn't being restore when the display gets turned back on.

9. Judge Dredd 3D

Judge Dredd 3D Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can solve the Freesync issue by running Windows Update, it will install the missing driver to enable it.

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In my case, this just ends up installing 'generic drivers' which replaces AMD (or Acer stock) drivers and kills Radeon Settings permanently (requiring a clean install of the drivers to regain access to Radeon Settings).