Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You could fly to India...

"The Acer Predator Helios 500 is available via the exclusive Acer mall outlets and with retail partners, but Acer has not clarified online availability."
    https://beebom.com/acer-predator-helios-500-india-launch/

2. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Negative on that.

My shots are not up to date.

Maybe Acer could bring the laptop to us? Hey, thats a novel idea,,,,the vendor bring the product to the customer.

Why on earth would they release in India of all places first? Biggest consumer market in the world is where........?

hmscott likes this.
  3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Likely using India as a test for market interest

4. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Maybe......

But then again, if you think about it, they would have to commit to a sizable main board production run, so it sorta makes sense that they have produced a few thousand at least. Well whatever, if it comes it comes, if not something else will come along. It was an interesting laptop though. The only thing that was negative about it was no Thunderbolt 3 - and we understand why.

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Thousands for a market of 1.3 billion.

6. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Acer launch event in New York was May 23rd. The New Delhi event in July was a local launch event for the India market.

(I suspect these launch events are aimed at generating negotiations and orders from buyers for distributors or retailers, not at consumers.)
    ----

Speculation: But, IF (big 'IF') the AMD Ryzen/Vega version were planned to be available in India first, that would a big clue that maybe sufficient parts are not ready yet (such as efficient bins of Ryzen 2700 chips, Vega 56 chips, and/or HBM2), and maybe Acer or AMD hope to have them ready for Q4 and the various holiday shopping seasons.

The first big holiday in Q4 might be Diwali, the "festival of lights" over five days and nights near the dark nights of a new moon, celebrated in India and several other tropical countries. ("In terms of consumer purchases and economic activity, it is the equivalent of Christmas holiday season in the West." according to Wikipedia.) I think it may be centered around November 7 this year, so the shopping season might be the month before that.

Right after that on the calendar is the biggest online shopping day of the year, "Singles Day" in China, on November 11, where singles (and others) spend on themselves, and merchants cooperate with big discounts. (However, I think these sales are mostly clearing older stock, not new products.)

The US holiday shopping season traditionally starts the Friday after the US Thanksgiving holiday. This year sales would traditionally start on Friday November 23rd with discounts at big physical stores, Saturday the 24th at small local merchants, and Monday the 26th at online stores. (Retailers like to get shoppers in a buying mood as early as possible, so they have more weekends to draw them into stores and tempt them to make gift purchases, and avoid ruin even if a storm scares shoppers away the final shopping weekend.)

(China's biggest holiday, Chinese Lunar New Year, is near the beginning of February, but I think gifts are traditionally in the form of cash in red envelopes, rather than purchased gifts.)

7. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For me, this is the build I'd go for. A build with minimal compromises (particularly on raw processing power).

SMGJohn likes this.
  8. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sadly Intel haven't made good on their opening up of Thunderbolt. Now this being an AMD system with an AMD processor and AMD GPU why not use an AMD connector for expansion too? A modern update of the XGP connector with 16 PCIe 3.x lanes and USB 3.x support would be nice, and why not a fusion reactor instead of a battery?

9. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A very poor test market unfortunately. The market is actually kind of small when you consider about 42% of its population is living below the new international poverty line of $1.25 (PPP) per day.

The actual upper middle class market for high end gaming electronics is something like 0.1% of the population. The % of those looking for an AMD gaming laptop with desktop CPU? I doubt they will make too many sales unfortunately unless they release it internationally.

triturbo and SMGJohn like this.
  10. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There pre-orders for it in Norway its actually set to release next month. If it had more than one 2.5 inch drive bay I would probably bought it but its only got one far as I know.

ThatOldGuy likes this.