Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would say not really, all you're really getting is the CPU and at that point just build a MITX for cheaper

2. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ah, yes. But no thanks.

3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I can always build an ITX, I can't build an ITX under weight limits for international flights however. Which is where laptops take over.

Vingard likes this.
  4. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This. Plus I seem to have an aversion to maintaining a non-zero bank balance...

5. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ever since AMD released new drivers for Navi, some Vega 56 functionality ended up seemingly broken for owners of Helios 500 laptop with Ryzen/Vega.

With newest drivers, every time I bring the laptop (Helios 500 with Ryzen 2700 and Vega 56) out of sleep mode, the screen turns on with static noise which doesn't go away until I hard shut down the laptop and start it up again.

This issue is NOT present on 19.5.2, and 19.6.2 drivers (laptop wakes up normally after sleep with those drivers and I can resume working because I get a proper picture on the display).

I'm using Windows 10 x64 Home with latest updates.

I uploaded a picture of the problem.
    I also have a short video on youtube:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  7. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do not buy more than you need, you will regret it, like me, too many machines, no use for them.

Some people might not have space for ITX, remember you still need to plugin a monitor, get a keyboard, a mouse and these ITX builds cannot get very good battery life, battery packages for desktop PC's are always AT LEAST 5kg bricks, not very fun to carry around or replace pricewise.

Its good price but for that you can easily get 6 - 8 core Tongfang barebones with 2060 or 2070 with mechanical keyboards, I rather wait for Zen2 gaming laptops, I wish Clevo did one or Dell/Alienware

8. chenshuiluke

chenshuiluke Newbie

Reputations:
    how did you overclock the vega 56?

9. xdyphx

xdyphx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you use 17.12 drivers from acer site, use Msi Afterburner. Just go to Msi "settings", go to "General" tab and find and enable "Extend official overclocking limits" and "Unlock Voltage Control". When you done that, save and pc will restart. Then just run Msi afterburner and set clocks, and dont forget to undervolt.
    [​IMG]

With official Amd drivers Msi Afterburner wont work, just enable "Extend official overclocking limits" and "Unlock Voltage Control" with Msi Afterburner then overclock gpu with Sapphire Trixx.
    [​IMG]

I can push my gpu to the limits alone, but i hit the power limit wall (121w) and differences are minimal. Anyone found the solution how to set powerlimit with powerplay tables? I tried, sadly unsuccessful. I need 10w or 20w more.

I hit 6457 in 3dmark, core 1451, memory 900 (i can go to 950 but in games is worse perf because of 121w limit):
    https://www.3dmark.com/spy/8418598

6533 in 3dmark, core 1451, memory 950
    https://www.3dmark.com/spy/8207939

Superposition Benchmark 1080p Extreme
    [​IMG]
    I am satisfied with the result, have better performance than stock vega 56 and the same fps performace as desktop gtx 1070 or even better with games.
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-8gb-review,28.html

Pushed ryzen 2700 to the max, 4.1ghz with all cores, 1.325v but in prime95 it reaches more than 95c and crashed, for gaming is stable 24/7. I will replace cpu with 2700x which i have at home because it runs cooler (4.1ghz with 1.25v) or i will just replace the stock paste.

CB15 score is 1829
    [​IMG]

Predator can handle 4.0ghz, 1.275v without problem (tested with prime95)
    [​IMG]

3.9ghz 1.2v (tested with prime95)
    [​IMG]

Stock (with prime95)
    [​IMG]

With overclocked gpu and cpu full load, laptop pulls almost 300w from the power :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  10. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is that using the stock PSU or did u buy one rated for pulling 300w?