Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. csellbe

csellbe Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi.

In the last few days I have read all 67 pages of this long thread. It was very interesting and I learned a lot. I hope it will be OK to ask you a few questens?

I am considering to buy a Acer Predator Helios 500, with Ryzen 2700 CPU and Vega 56 GPU on sale, to use it for working with the video editing and grading program Davinci Resolve.

In Resolve the CPU is used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
    Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics cards OpenCL cores. So I am looking for higher GPU performance only.

Here is a link to 'RX Vega 56 successfully flashed with Vega 64 BIOS for performance boost':

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...shed-with-vega-64-bios-for-performance-boost/

And an another link for 'Video BIOS Collection':

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...56+Mobile&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

If I search for 'Card Model': Vega 56 Mobile, do I find a download link for the Acer Vega 56 Mobile 8 GB VgaBIOS.

Do you think, it can be replaced with a Vega 64 BIOS, as in my above link?

Do you have any information on the Brand of the Acer Predator Helios 500 Vega 56 Graphics Card?

And what tool do you expect, I will need to replace the current Acer Vega 56 BIOS with a Vega 64 BIOS?

Regards Carsten.

2. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is not a standard v56, it's a custom mobile version limited to 120w. You'll likely cause major issues if you flash to a v64 bios.

That said, I've been able to clock mine to 1450/900 and still stay under the 120w limit (barely). That should give slightly better than stock desktop v56 performance (which clocks 1475/850) at about half the power. The laptop is not designed to push more than 330w total gpu and cpu, and a v64 bios would likely either not flash at all, or if it did would draw so much lower it'd fry the gpu power delivery, get stuck throttling massively, or instantly brick the system due to incompatibility with the mobile gpu.

3. Judge Dredd 3D

Judge Dredd 3D Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't do it, you will brick your laptop without able to revert the damage, trust me (did it already)
    The V56 Bios on the Helios 500 is 512kb, the ones you will find online are 256kb, insta death to your Laptop.

I would rather do some Power Play Soft Table changes on the Registry to unlock more power/voltage etc, but then you will hit a wall with the power brick maximum supply of 330w I believe. You would need a 550-750W supply to unlock the true potential of the V56/V64.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As others have said, if you get the Helios 500 with Ryzen/Vega, DON'T try to flash a V64 bios onto V56.
    The TDP's are too different for one thing, the V56 in Helios is custom-made and limited to 120W TDP.

Besides, performance-wise, you wouldn't be losing out on too much in comparison to V64.
    You can also overclock V56 in Helios 500 to perform as good or better than desktop V56 while staying within 120W TDP...
    Davinci Resolve is a good program... it should be able to make good use of the Ryzen+ and V56... so I don't think you will suffer anything in regards to performance.

As for disk I/O... you'd be be far better off getting a proper SSD for storage inside the Helios 500. Essentially, replacing the 1TB HDD with 1TB or 2TB SSD.

Depending on when you are considering getting this laptop, you may want to consider waiting to see if any OEM's come out with Zen 2 and Navi in laptops as an option.

5. csellbe

csellbe Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi.

With all your rekommandations, will I drop my idea to change the Vega 56 to a Vega 64 BIOS. Thank you for your advice.

But there are other things I don't understand, may be you have the answer. The Ryzen 7 2700 have a Base Frequency TDP of 65 Watt:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600/8

And you tell me that the Vega 56 are staying within 120W TDP. Why do the Acer Helios 500 then, need a 330 Watt power brick?

I read a few early reviews of a power brick of 230 Watt. Later all write about a 330 Watt power brick. I expect when using a 230 Watt unit can it use extra power from the battery, if needed. Am I right?
    And now I wonder if the 330 watt power brick, both can supply the needed power to the laptop, and recharge the battery, at the same time?

Do any know what the actual max power consumption are?

I also tried to find the size and weight of the power brick.
    I can't find it, can any help?

Regards Carsten.

6. chenshuiluke

chenshuiluke Newbie

Reputations:
    How well does this perform in games? I'm a developer and gamer and am considering purchasing this instead of the new 2019 Helios 300. I mostly play Overwatch at the moment, but I'd like to get into streaming and give games like battle field 5, the upcoming Cod and anthem a try. Do you guys think this will fit my needs?

Also, is the gpu overclockable?

7. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From what I've seen, this performs right behind the 1070 model at stock, likely a bit better once tuned, but you can get a 2060 laptop on sale for around $1.1K or so, and this sits around $1.5K last I checked.

8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Nope, its been consistently 1300 for a few weeks now.

Been really hard to not just go and buy it, but with my Ranger its hard to justify it simply because I dont have a "need" for it.

hmscott and SMGJohn like this.
  9. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  10. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tempting at $1.3k though...