Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Awesome news about Predator Sense. I wonder if that means a Predator Helios 700 AMD edition is in the works?

I am not surprised about the memory operating at 1200mhz. My HyperX 32GB kit operated the same way. They are dual rank sticks, though. I am tempted to take an evening and try a 2666mhz 2x8GB single rank kit to see if it can boot beyond 1200mhz.

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Darn, I've had that happen, only problem is AMD may send you a generic kit the 2nd time, not realizing the background around your specific request.

Did you work through the resend with your direct contact at AMD / Acer that worked out this special update kit? Or was it someone at the support line?

Nothing like keeping it interesting. :)

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Guys... did anyone realize that our laptops support 2k resolution on the display itself?
    I am able to change my resolution to 2k on the desktop and games easily.
    I had no idea this was doable since display itself has a sticker saying Full HD 1080.

Interesting... it may mean we could play at 2k and not be obstructed by the lower performing RAM as much.

4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Downsampling from greater than native resolutions has been a thing for a very long time. :)

5. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You had been impatiently awaiting for a parcel and let it laying around for a week... and then it disappeared? Oh yeah, also let down those folks who actually were waiting for that parcel with your reputation depending on it having 5 posts on the forum too, sure, not suspicious at all, not at all. Yeah, right. No pun intended.. not to you at least.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No, I mean, usually, the games and desktop resolution is limited to the maximum supported resolution of the display itself (aka, no other resolutions would present themselves as an option).
    This was always the case whenever I used my laptops or desktops (even on the GL702ZC I was inherently limited to 1080p).
    I didn't change my display resolution from the drivers, I changed it from Windows Display Settings... and I noticed that games offer 2k.

7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This is usually the case by default, but virtual resolutions greater than native are exposed if you enable Nvidia DSR, AMD VSR (what you have), or create custom resolutions in the graphics driver or using CRU. For example, this is the range of resolutions I can select in Windows/games with DSR enabled on my 1080p panel. Regular DSR is limited to 4x native resolution, but using Custom DSR Tool I can create resolutions up to 64x (!) native.

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Oh yeah... VSR looks like it was enabled in drivers (though, not by me - it was on by default).

9. Judge Dredd 3D

Judge Dredd 3D Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Tonight I will try to set my HyperX 2666 to the actual speed of 2666Mhz and 15-17-17 with the latest Ryzen Master, my previous attempts of OCing the 2700 to 4.0Ghz worked fine, will see if the 2600 behaves similarly.

10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Helios 500 has been 1300 for a while again.

Been pondering it for a while now lol