Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Possibly, but he provided them with the model number, etc... so its probably understood that it's a laptop.... not a desktop.

2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Oh sure, most of the upgrades would likely go fine, but some would fail for one reason or another. More RMA's cost more money so it would need to be offset somehow in their mind. I guess since the bios is locked, they could have a "upgrade" program where you ship it in and they upgrade the bios and CPU for a modest fee. Oh, and does Zen2 work with Ryzen Master 1.3? I am guessing they would need to update Predator Sense to be compatible with Ryzen Master 2 as well.. actually that would be nice to have even with Zen1+.

Speaking of RMA's, no word from Acer yet on mine. But I guess that is good news since it appears that most people who get denied a repair were contacted just a day or two after arrival at the service center.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    A simple CPU swap with a functional BIOS upgrade would probably NOT cause an RMA in hands of those who have experience.
    Again, I will admit there could be potential issues with physical failures from mishandling units during the swap, but I doubt that this would be any more problematic for Acer than a regular RMA (especially if the units are under warranty - so Acer will be in the same predicament - and you would be nuts to tell Acer you tried replacing the CPU, because that could invalidate the warranty, in which case it would end up giving Acer revenue anyway).

If Acer would offer their own upgrade path to Zen 2 for a small fee (along with upgrading the RAM so they can say take out existing RAM sticks and put in new/faster RAM sticks with low timings of equal capacity inside which you provide them with), then yeah, I could see that working.
    But, why would it make any difference if the BIOS is locked?
    If AMD provides us with an updated BIOS for Helios 500 that supports Zen 2, there's a good chance it will be unlocked anyway, and it will be a case of a simple CPU swap out on our part.

I don't know about compatibility between Predator sense and Ryzen Master 2, or Zen 2 and Ryzen Master 1.3.
    Considering that It's still Zen uArch, I don't think Predator Sense would have issues working with it... if it does, simply do Windows reinstall (just in case).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  4. BurnsXL

BurnsXL Newbie

Reputations:
    Another update, AMD reviewed my case and approved it - think I mentioned this already. FedEx shows the kit on its way, hopefully it works. I'd also pay (at this point) a small fee for Acer to support this as well, if the AMD kit doesn't work.

They 100% know it's a laptop and I had to take pictures of everything for them to research and review it. It's possible that it's just an assembly line at their support center, but I have to think that they didn't do a week of research without looking in to what's going on.

Fingers crossed, I'd love whatever it is, a 15-30% single core boost.

SMGJohn, Deks, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Wow I'll have to purchase a helios if this works LOL

hmscott likes this.
  6. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Works what exactly, LOL. What do you think is IN that parcel? A USB flash drive with a BIOS update? I highly doubt so.
    Just a cheap Ryzen CPU probably - that's my guess.

7. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    You never know, could be a usb with a bios :rolleyes:

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @BurnsXL - Once you have AMD actively working to help you upgrade your CPU in the Helios 500 you could loop in Acer to provide the updated BIOS - cc / include all of your AMD email contacts in that request and followup's with Acer along the way such that Acer's lack of interest in updating the BIOS is made visible to AMD and ask for AMD's help to convince Acer to do the BIOS update to allow Ryzen 3 CPU's to be upgraded in the laptop.

Even if there isn't an actual BIOS update in the AMD upgrade package, you can use the pressure from AMD to at least get Acer thinking about updating the BIOS - since everyone else's motherboard is allowing Ryzen 3 upgrades with a BIOS update - probably other Acer motherboards as well.

Which is something else to consider, are there any desktop motherboards that the Helios Ryzen motherboard share design? Sometimes the laptop motherboard will be a modified desktop motherboard - IDK if it will be close enough to flash the desktop BIOS, but it is something to know and quote to Acer to "make their job" easier - and their excuses have less weight.

@BurnsXL - thanks for keeping us up to date - try to stay positive and look for all avenues to get Acer to update the BIOS as needed with AMD's help. :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    James D and triturbo like this.
  9. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    If I was to flash a desktop BIOS on this machine, the very first thing I would check is where's the Vega vBIOS stored. Afterward - check all the main chips that you have there. Starting with the Hub/chipset (i.e. B350 or whatever, quick browse didn't come with anything) and then storage controller and etc. Find a similar desktop MoBo and see if it was updated to support Ryzen 2. Finally - count your blessings and shoot :D

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I wouldn't suggest flashing a laptop motherboard with a desktop BIOS, but if the desktop motherboard design is close enough to the Ryzen laptop motherboard design that can be pointed out to Acer. If the Ryzen 3 CPU BIOS update is already available via the updated desktop BIOS, Acer can migrate that Ryzen 3 updated BIOS to the laptop.

@BurnsXL - If you can give Acer / AMD all of the options available and encourage them to work together to move forward with laptop CPU upgrades on the same AM4 socket, maybe it can happen. :)

SMGJohn and triturbo like this.