Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hopefully we won't chase @BurnsXL away with our enthusiasm :)

If @BurnsXL can put together a timeline of interaction - AMD first noticed his make / model and request for a laptop upgrade with a Ryzen 3 CPU, and AMD knows Acer (and Asus) aren't so far providing a CPU BIOS update upgrade path themselves, and keep us up to date.

Maybe he / AMD will included Acer / Asus in on the project so that everyone can get an official BIOS update for Ryzen 3 (/4?) to provide a path to the promise of AM4 socket upgrades in laptops as well as desktops.

If anyone from Acer / Asus are reading this please do help out and make your laptops live a longer and more fruitful lifetime - it will help sales in the long run!! :)

2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

Is it possible to simply get a general BIOS for B450 chipset from AMD?
    That would probably overwrite the BIOS and unlock it completely given that the motherboar IS based on a desktop one, and technically, because its based on a desktop one, it should work.
    Problem is, we don't know WHICH B450 mobo Acer used as a basis... if we did, we could probably try using that mobo bios to flash it with everything unlocked.
    The only thing that's a problem here is how Vega 56 is fully integrated into the motherboard - which changes the setting, and may require BIOS to be organized in a specific way.

Still, I think AMD itself could easily release their own BIOS for Helios 500 and GL702ZC given they worked with Asus and Acer in creating those laptops (I think).

Would flashing a 'general BIOS' for B450 work in this situation?

hmscott likes this.
  3. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The boot kit program is AMD sending a Zen+ processor so that the receiver can reflash their motherboard with a BIOS supporting the Zen 2 processor... Now ask yourself what we are missing in this...
    A BIOS supporting the Zen 2 processor

ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    He already has a Zen+ processor.
    He needs a BIOS supporting Zen 2 which he can flash... I was under the impression he said AMD will be sending him the boot kit program and the BIOS too.

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sad to say, those of you in this thread with your hopes up are gonna be really disappointed...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Probably, which is fine as I'm still satisfied with my ranger and reaaaaallllyyyyy don't want to swap platforms but one can dream.

7. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm thinking perhaps AMD misunderstood his request. I don't know how or why they'd have a Helios 500 bios that supports Zen 2 on hand. It'd have to come from Acer.

8. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know, this is a very strange situation.
    This would require a lot of effort from AMD as the BIOS have to be made specifically for this machine (an assumption but one supported from experience with many notebook computers) or with less effort from AMD support from Acer to make a custom BIOS. If Acer want to release an update they'd make the development and testing in-house before releasing it, why use external testing from an end user instead?
    Safe to say that this is an AMD representative misunderstanding what was requested.

9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The board is designed and manufactured by Quanta, so the bios is likely updated by their engineers as well. AMD could certainly do the work, but I am guessing that Acer would not want to cooperate at all with this given that it will essentially make them no money and likely increase the amount of RMA's going in to their service center from failed upgrade attempts. Now, if Acer happens to release a new refreshed model that adds Zen2 support but otherwise changes nothing else, we may be able to buy one, dump the new bios, flash it to the old motherboard and it may work.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Why would there be increase in RMA's?
    If AMD provides a BIOS that supports Zen 2 and works, then the only thing we'd need to do is swap out the CPU.
    Worst case scenario, Zen 2 CPU doesn't work... Zen+ still should (if the BIOS functions as intended).
    Increase in RMA's would only occur with those who end up damaging the motherboard during the swap out or something else that's more physical.

hmscott likes this.