Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for contacting AMD about this. They certainly have more motivation to provide an updated bios as they want more processor sales. They probably also have the ability to get Acer to cooperate given that it is B450 platform which AMD stated would support Zen2.

ajc9988 and hmscott like this.
  2. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Someone should have done this to Asus AMD laptop or even now if its still possible to at least get Zen+ on it

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

3. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    Yeah, that uses B350, correct? It should support Zen2 as well if I remember the launch support charts correctly.

4. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes B350, yet Asus abandoned the laptop like they do with all their machines shortly after release.
    That is why it be interesting to contact AMD about it.

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  5. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    I feel like all manufacturers besides Dell/Lenovo/Hp/Clevo do this. It just hurts more on rare models like these which could be upgraded.

Ironically for me the best part about this laptop is the Vega 56 - its probably the best laptop dedicated GPU for running Linux or a hackintosh. I guess support for a 3700X or better would certainly close the gap with the 9900k, but without a good supported dedicated GPU the performance even doing non-3d tasks is crap when running three simultaneous displays. Given that I primarily use MacOS and Linux at my work desk, I could probably get by with a eGPU containing a Vega card, but that is more hassle than having one simply built in.

hmscott and SMGJohn like this.
  6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The GL702ZC uses B350 motherboard. It should be able to support Zen 2 easily provided of course the BIOS chip is large enough to accommodate it (but I think it would be fine either way even if the chip was a smaller one - in the case of a smaller chip, they [AMD] would only need to eliminate support for any CPU that's less powerful than 1600 and 1700 and just incorporate Zen+ and Zen 2 support for 2600/2700 and 3600/3700x (along with faster RAM with lower timings) and ensure to say that GL702ZC would only support select CPU's of Zen 1, + and 2 generations (such as the 1600/1700, 2600/2700 and 3600/3700x).

This would greatly improve 1080p performance on that particular platform (and of course ours).
    Plus, Zen 3 support would be even better.
    Would potentially get 12 cores/24 threads in 65W version with similar or higher clocks, improved IPC and better RAM support.

The only thing about Helios 500 is the problem of 2 factory installed RAM sticks beneath the keyboard which require disassembly of the unit itself to reach them - but if you just do it once, and remove them, you can just stick to say 2x16GB in easily accessible slots (which makes it easier to replace/upgrade) in the future.

AMD would be amazing to release BIOS updates for our platform. It would ensure its longevity and grant us much better performance (and efficiency).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    hmscott and SMGJohn like this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is what I don't understand.
    Which method did he use to contact AMD about this and what did he say to them?
    Do we need to do this individually and do we need to provide AMD with specific information about our platform (or can we just wait for him to get all the needed software so he can upload it for the rest of us?)?

hmscott likes this.
  8. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    He mentioned the boot kit program so I assumed that was how he got in touch. The update would in theory work for anyone, unlike a dumped bios which has stuff like the windows key and Ethernet MAC address embedded.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I figured as much that the update would work for anyone who has the Helios 500 with Ryzen/Vega given that the system is probably built to same specs (only main potential difference being in CPU and RAM size - which would either vary between 2600 and 2700 for the CPU and/or RAM would vary between 16GB and 32GB - and of course SSD availability - none of which would have a specific bearing on the BIOS itself given that a single BIOS update is released for ALL Helios 500's with Ryzen/Vega).

He did mention the boot kit program, but I also recall him saying that he got it from AMD.
    My question relates to HOW did he contact AMD (did he send an email, and if so, to which e-mail address did he write, did he use support forums, and if so, what did he ask, etc.) and what did he ask.

hmscott likes this.
  10. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    He talked about it over at the Acer Community Forums too. Honestly though what he is asking for is a long shot. I will be amazed if they do release an update. Probably what he will end up getting is just a boot kit meant for a desktop motherboard.