Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Before I bricked my machine I was running 32GB of ram at 2133MT/s CL12. It seemed to stutter less than the stock ram at 2400MT/s (CL unknown).

2. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah, you have much faster response times with CL12 than anything higher of course not as fast as 3200MT/s even at CL16 but WAY better than 2400 at CL16, mind if I ask what type of memory you used? Or did you tighten the timings on it?

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Its a HyperX 32GB kit, part number HX426S15IB2K2/32. They are rated for 2666MT/s CL15. Sadly the Acer bios selected the slowest JEDEC timing that is available.

Papusan and SMGJohn like this.
  4. Editor1

Editor1 Newbie

Reputations:
    OK, hope one of you PC experts can help, I'm trying to download all drivers/software I need to do a clean instal on a 1TB SSD NVME - this replaces the original 256GB supplied SSD, I've got a copy of Windows 10 Enterprise I can use legally from my business account and have started looking at what I need to DL from Acer and AMD, no real issues with the Acer DLs, but totally lost when it comes to AMD downloads. Have Died the Adrenalin packages, but am lost with the actual Chipset DLs, namely, its a AM4 socket, but then we have 6 further choices, do I click B450, or is it one of the other choices?

5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The AMD drivers are fairly simple.
    First go to Acer's support page for Helios 500 Ryzen/Vega and download the GPU drivers from there (install them first if you wish to retain Freesync functionality).
    Then you can go to AMD's website and download the latest GPU drivers for Vega 56... but I'd suggest you find and download 15.9.2 version as it's less buggy for Vega (the latest drivers are more for Navi and have apparently broken Vega to an extent by the screen displaying static noise if I bring it out of sleep).

As for the chipset drivers... yeah, you need to select B450 on AMD's website as that's our motherboard.

Also, always select 'Express update' option in drivers when updating GPU drivers.

Editor1 likes this.
  6. Editor1

Editor1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Many thanks for your assistance, will try and do as suggested - further, I take it its a good idea to clone the original SSD in the Predator so I have a bootable exact copy - hoping Macrium Reflect 7 will handle this as will clone the Hynix 256GB SSD to my Firecuda HDD, once done, will just remove original NVME SSD and replace with a Adata one and undertake clean instal on the Adata SSD, which means I'll lose Acer Recovery Partion, but will not touch the original SSD as will be handy to have the original SSD on hand with original installed Acer stuff?

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Don't think there's much benefit to the Acer Recovery partition since the recovery is broken (doesn't work).
    I tried using it once but the system couldn't find anything (the same problem happened on GL702ZC - for some reason, OEM's just end up breaking the OS in some fashion by making it impossible to create a viable recovery image).
    You're better just making a clone of the OS and keep it as a separate copy, but otherwise do a clean install of Windows.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  8. BurnsXL

BurnsXL Newbie

Reputations:
    So AMD is sending me what should be a BIOS update for my laptop via their boot kit program, they saw that Acer wasn't supporting the upgrade path and they saw the model/situation and once I submitted my receipt/serial/transcript with Acer it looks good to go.

Once it gets here I'll let you know if it works, but I hope it will as it really just is a software issue; not sure how big the performance gain will be, but since I already have it all might as well

ajc9988, hmscott, triturbo and 3 others like this.
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wait, what?
    You're getting a BIOS update from AMD?
    What kind?
    Does it include support for Zen 2 and faster RAM?

EDIT: How'd you contact AMD and what did you tell them exactly to provide you with the software and new BIOS?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    That's what I'm waiting on as well lol

Looks like I'm going to be waiting on another deal for the helios 500

ajc9988 and hmscott like this.