Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are anyone familiar with which 1.5 gen Ryzen CPU this laptop support? I was wanting to get one to replace the Alienware with, I was looking to put Ryzen 5 2600X in it because of the poor memory speed support, or Ryzen 5 2400G for better battery life.
    Also what kind of power limitations exist on this laptop? Can I slap the lower power use Ryzen 5 CPU in there and lessen the power restriction on the GPU or are they both individually BIOS restricted?

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Not sure on the CPU front, I imagine they would work but no first hand knowledge.

The GPU has a TGP of 120w iirc

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I think the 2600X would work. Not sure how the 2400G would work. The Vega 56 is always on so I doubt it there will be much power savings. Also 2700X is confirmed to work at 105W TDP, without any throttling of the Vega 56. That should be the most powerful option unless we get Zen2 working somehow.

SMGJohn likes this.
  4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Hey guys! Does anyone of you have disassembled this beast for repaste, or planing to do so? If anyone can measure the dimensions of the fans (the rotors' diameter and thickness) as well as their P/Ns. Thank you!

5. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    Aright, reason I am asking for 2600X is because 2700X with 2133MT/s memory is pretty garbage and a stutter mess in certain situations.

6. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To be expected really as you would be swapping a 65w CPU for another 65w CPU. However anyone putting a 3600 in a Helios 500 would be mentally challenged as it's a significant downgrade over stock.

7. SMGJohn

Reputations:
  8. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, I think I'll stick with 8 cores thanks :rolleyes:

I mean, don't get me wrong, to each their own, however if I wanted to sacrifice two cores for better single core performance and a few FPS I would have just bought the Intel/Nvidia Helios 500 in the first place (and got Thunderbolt ports to boot). It seems retarded to make the decision to buy the 8 core laptop then pay even more to convert it into the worst of both worlds.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There IS a 8c/16th 65W TDP Zen 2 (3700x).
    :)
    Now if we can get the bios up and running for it, we should be able to slap that bad boy in and get a nice performance increase.
    On most tasks that are single threaded, performance should be the same as on 3600... but in multithreading, 3700x would have a distinct advantage.

10. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    2133MT/s memory bottleneck gets worse with 8 core Ryzen 1.5 gen, I believe you are not very familiar with how much bottleneck is made, the Acer is awfully crippled on the memory, there no point in adding more cores when you actually see negligible performance improvements.
    https://community.amd.com/community...emory-oc-showdown-frequency-vs-memory-timings
    https://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-m...ryzen-7-2700x-on-the-amd-x470-platform_205154

For 2133MT/s to be least bottleneck as possible you need CL10 or CL12 memory, to my knowledge does not exist for DDR4 SO-DIMM.
    Having used 2400MT/s CL14 memory on my Ryzen 7 1700 and having upgraded to 3200MT/s CL16 and OC it to 3533MT/s when BIOS got good enough, I noticed huge differences in games, a lot of games that had stutter issues were gone, Premiere Pro would render much faster, Windows overall was vastly more stable.

Of course Ryzen 3 3600 will be equally crippled with such poor memory speed, that is why Ryzen 5 2600 might be better option because historically the Ryzen 5's were less memory picky.