Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah I know I used to deal with it then but workarounds were present. If they flip the switch again ill just have to keep an eye on the enthusiasts that find new workarounds. Im prepared to deal with that risk to maintain a mobile platform. At worst I would be able to still use it with a NUC I guess like you mentioned.

mATX is my preferred platform for SFF machines and I have had many in the past.

Yeah for most eGPU is only viable on the machine they have at present especially so if they have no dGPU but the longevity isnt much to speak to. However for my admittedly specific use case it should be fine. Even when you have the appropriate GPU in use the core usage isnt that much. At least this was the case when I played with PhysX in the past.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Cool, please come back and let us know what you end up setting up and how it works. :)

3. TheReciever

Reputations:
    I have to get my life in order first but yeah even if I have to find one of these used I plan to get one at some point. Would help if I could get one with a Korean layout as well but time will tell...

I would then be able to retire my m4600 and use the Ranger as my Mobile plex server

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    FYI - this may explain some anomalies people are experiencing on their AMD systems after the latest Windows 10 updates:

CPU Vulnerabilities, Meltdown and Spectre, Kernel Page Table Isolation Patches, and more
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...atches-and-more.812424/page-103#post-10776864
    "Security TechCenter
    ADV180002 | Guidance to mitigate speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities
    Security Advisory

Published: 01/03/2018 | Last Updated : 08/01/2018
    https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/ADV180002

Update 23.0 08/01/2018 Added FAQ #18 to address a high CPU utilization issue some customers with an AMD-based device are experiencing after installing the June or July Windows security updates or after installing a BIOS update.

18. I have an AMD-based device and I am experiencing high CPU utilization after installing the June or July Windows security updates or after installing a BIOS update for my device. Is this expected?

There have been reports of high CPU utilization resulting in performance degradation on some systems with Family 15h & 16h AMD processors after installing June 2018 or July 2018 Windows updates from Microsoft and updated AMD microcode that addresses Spectre Variant 2 (CVE-2017-5715 - Branch Target Injection). AMD and Microsoft have investigated this issue, and Microsoft is working to provide a solution in the near-term. This advisory will be updated when a solution is released.

Customers who wish to remediate the performance impact caused by this issue may wish to consider temporarily disabling Spectre Variant 2 mitigations via registry settings for Windows until a solution for this issue is released. When a solution is released for this issue, customers will need to re-enable the registry settings.

We do not recommend that customers uninstall the June or July security updates for Windows because the June and July updates provide numerous other critical security fixes.

Changing Registry Settings

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, see [Microsoft Knowledge Base article 322756[(https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756).

Note Disabling and enabling the Spectre Variant 2 mitigation through registry setting changes requires administrative rights and a restart.

To disable Spectre Variant 2 mitigations:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

When the solution is available, the registry keys will need to be re-enabled.

To enable Spectre Variant 2 mitigations:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

Restart the computer for the changes to take effect."

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Sean P. and SMGJohn like this.
  5. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Glad I do not use Windows 10 seriously feels like its still on beta

hmscott likes this.
  6. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Where is this laptop for sale?

I've been looking all over but cant find it anywhere. Is it out there yet in bigger numbers yet ?

I am considering the Ryzen version over the i9 version

hmscott likes this.
  7. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Hasn't released yet

hmscott likes this.
  8. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ohhh thats why. Thanks.

When is it expected ?

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    It looks like "now", at least in India:

Acer Predator Helios 500 gaming laptop launched for Rs. 2,49,999
    26 Jul 2018 | By Mudit Dube
    https://www.newsbytesapp.com/timeli...r-predator-helio-500-specs-features-and-price

"Expanding its portfolio of gaming laptops, Acer has launched the high-end Acer Predator Helio 500 in India.

The laptop comes in two variants - one with AMD Ryzen 7 2700 which is priced at Rs. 1,99,999 (coming soon in India), and an Intel Core i9 variant which is available at Rs. 2,49,999 via Acer's sales partners.

Here's our roundup of Acer Predator Helios 500..."

10. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    (coming soon in India),

So it looks it is the same as everywhere else. Coming soon.

I wonder what the hold up is? This was announced , what , 2 months ago?