Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ryder23

Ryder23 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Surely now we are going to see some Ryzen based laptops coming equipped with the Ryzen 7 3700X?! I mean at 65watts this is more than doable!

hmscott likes this.
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Bigger question is if the 3900x or the 3700x can work in the Helios 500.

Ryder23 and hmscott like this.
  3. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Depends what you mean.

If you mean will it work if you put it in: no.
    If you mean will Acer release a BIOS update to support Zen2 CPUs in the Helios 500: almost certainly no.
    If you mean could somebody mod the existing BIOS to add support for Zen2: possibly.
    If you mean would putting a 105w TDP CPU into a laptop that shipped with a 65w CPU be a good idea: Probably no.

Personally I hope somebody mods the BIOS as I would like to drop a 3700X in for the extra clock speed, extra IPC, and the memory improvements.

Ryder23, Deks, 4W4K3 and 1 other person like this.
  4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I didn't speak to the means, I spoke to the potential.

All your points have already been raised throughout the thread by myself and others.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Guys, I have a serious issue here and need some help.

I tried installing the latest AMD chipset drivers and after restarting the computer, my Helios 500 went into Windows automatic repair mode.
    Restore didn't work, reset didn't work, troubleshooting didn't work... it kept saying it was encountering some kind of error (and it couldn't detect any saved media either because it cannot access USB for some reason - it told me to install drivers so it can detect the needed hw, but I didn't have anything like that - and ironically, via that option, the system CAN detect other SSD's, partitions and D drive easily via its own version of 'Windows Explorer'.

I also don't have an option to boot from USB inside the BIOS itself.

The only thing that appears in the boot options is 'Windows boot manager' on both locations.
    I managed to turn on F12 key prompt from BIOS, but even that isn't showing USB boot option.

Its as if my Helios 500 BIOS doesn't support USB booting.
    What the actual heck?

I'm using the latest BIOS.
    When I changed my boot order, I was able to re-access Windows which means that something affected my boot order for some reason when I tried installing the chipset drivers and went to the SSD in the first slot for some reason (which I installed a few days ago because Acer in their infinite wisdom put the original M2 SSD with Windows into slot 2 for whatever reason).

But this situation is extremely troublesome because it showed I do NOT have the option to install from USB supported in the BIOS.

Which means that if I want to install Linux on my second M2 SSD, I can't do it.

Right now, I'm in the clear as I can access Windows again when I changed the boot order, but WHY don't I have boot from USB supported?
    The BIOS doesn't have it (the option doesn't exist).

Could you guys check your own BIOS-es and see if you are having the same issue?
    And how could I bypass this in the future?
    Is there a way I can modify the USB key to be detected from the automatic repair section after booting?
    And why isn't the program detecting any system restore points?

More importantly, if I want to do a CLEAN Windows 10 install to repair a serious software flaw which cannot be fixed with a system restore or even reset (because neither functions work), I can't.
    Why?
    Thoughts and ideas?

P.S. Someone suggested disabling secure boot in BIOS for boot from USB option to appear, but I cannot disable secure boot as its greyed out in BIOS for whatever reason.

P.P.S. I just stumbled upon a little post from someone saying that in order to disable secure boot, I'd need to set up admin password (which I hadn't tried yet as I'm about to go to the gym).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Is there similar options as here?
    https://www.qualityology.com/tech/disable-asus-motherboards-uefi-secure-boot/

7. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    User32 likes this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Apparently, you need to CREATE your own admin password to replace 'secure boot' so you could boot from USB.
    It's not difficult.
    Going to separate a few mins to do this so I have the option of booting from USB... but realistically, this kinda seems a bit pointless (that you need to create your own password for disabling secure boot).

9. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Especially considering that slot 2 is the NVMe compatible one, it's almost like they designed the laptop then told the assembly line workers the wrong slot to put the factory SATA SSD into lol.

You can check that with CPUz, if it is you should prob move the sticks around to get it into synchronous or you'll be losing a lot of performance :)

2400Mhz isn't really slow, especially for a second gen Ryzen laptop, you have to remember most first gen Ryzen desktops struggled to do that kind of RAM speeds without hours of manual tweaking (and even then many couldn't hit those speeds reliably) so it makes sense Acer would go with something mid-range when they would be responsible for warranty calls.

FYI You should be able to even with Secure Boot enabled (or at least it worked for me) as a clean W10 install stick will be UEFI bootable (required by Secure Boot) and have Microsofts UEFI level security keys so recognized.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'll upload CPU-Z screenshot... channel says 'Dual', but Frequency says: 1197.1MhZ.
    And under SPD tab (memory selection), all 4 slots are greyed out for some reason.

I'm thinking it might be running in asynchronous mode because I have factory installed 2x8GB RAM (which are inaccessible unless you disassemble the unit - thanks Acer for this ridiculous blunder and making it impossible to use higher frequency RAM in simply dual channel without risking too much) and I added a single 16GB stick to one of the accessible RAM slots.

I realize AMD improved Infinity Fabric with Ryzen+, but its still very sensitive to RAM frequencies and latencies. In games and RAM sensitive software, this could easily add 15% performance with say 3000 MhZ RAM that has relatively low latency, but Acer made that virtually impossible because they gave the unit 4 RAM slots (which was the first mistake), 2 of which are beneath the kb and impossible to access without disassembly.

I have a stick with both Linux and clean Win10 images on it... but the laptop never recognized it.
    When I tried setting up a UEFI USB Win10 key from the Automatic windows repair, the program kept saying it doesn't have an option to boot from USB key in the BIOS bootable options (and indeed, the BIOS reflects this).

Attached Files:

hmscott likes this.