Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would be wary of the updates if I had a RAID config, but as you know, this isn't the case.
    I think its a problem that may have stemmed from when I bought the machine.
    OEM's tend to 'do' something to the OS in general where they end up breaking something.
    For instance, the Adrenaline drivers update function (from within Adrenaline UI) didn't show any new driver updates even though AMD released them... I had to install them manually.
    So, hopefully now that I removed all traces of AMD from the system with AMD cleanup utility, and reinstalled things myself, things will function.

Mind you, some Windows updates DID install since I did that, but nothing in regard to 1809 or 1903.

So, I don't understand why is my system slow to 'catch up'.
    Or it could be that it will just take time to update itself.
    Either that or I could try with the Windows 10 Update Assistant (man, the 'Home' version of Windows is really left in the lurch isn't it?).

Out of curiosity, which OS are you using hmscott?
    Linux?
    I was thinking of potentially migrating to it, but I still use software which works exclusively in Windows.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  2. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I did that before on the Asus GL702ZC (with all AMD hw - 1700 and RX 580) and it broke the recovery partition (making it completely inaccessible).
    Granted, the Acer Helios 500 seems far superior in regards to cooling and execution compared to the GL702ZC, so if worst comes to worst, I can just do a clean install of the OS and be done with it.

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Macrium Reflect Free is still a good solution for imaging the original OEM partitions / build / recovery partition, so that you can restore it to factory setup should the need arise - if you need to RMA it, and if / when you want to sell it, or for an easy sanity check should a custom OS build get weird - the OEM out of the box image makes an easy verification of hardware test too.

Then you don't need to worry about breaking the Windows 10 / recovery volume links, you can restore back to OEM easily with a Macrium Reflect bootable USB flash drive and a backup of the OEM drive image on a USB drive.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah I suppose.
    Though, please avoid the word RMA here... hoping that the Acer won't need it... ever.

TheReciever and hmscott like this.
  6. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some software can prevent updates due to compatibility issues. I know BattleEye anticheat that was packaged with some games like PUBG was blocking 1903 for some.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    FWIW 1903 seems to be running fine here after using the update assistant. For some reason Microsloth decided clicking the search button should result in a windows taking about 2 seconds(!) to show, this is with animation settings turned off. Waves NX was enabled as standard (it's part of the sound driver) so expect camera turning on by itself unless disabled.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I expect Micro$lope want you on newest version. This for bragging rights when the new Win 10 numbers will be posted by websites. They don't want the failure as 1809 become:)
    Windows 10 1803 gets Windows 10 1903 from June automatically. The 1809 only manually

hmscott likes this.
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Huh... good to know.
    But I backed up my relevant partitions into an image file just in case and upgraded to 1903 with Update Assistant.
    Runs fine.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Heads up:
    I successfully installed my 500 GB Crucial M2 SSD into slot 1 of my Acer Helios 500.
    What's odd is that Acer chose to put the original 256GB SSD into slot 2, and the laptop then decided to boot automatically from slot 1 (where the 500GB ssd was).
    So, I went into the BIOS and under the BOOT options I simply set the 2 to 1 (there was no visual change because they were both named Windows Boot Manager [I think]).

Anyway, I did that and slapped in my 16GB 2400 MhZ stick inside as well... so now I have 32GB total (running in a-sync mode likely, but meh).

With changing the boot option by placing second slot to boot first, I got my original Windows SSD to boot first.
    I was actually thinking on doing a clean install of Windows though, or just swapping the SSD places (but I don't know if the SSD shipped with the laptop will work in the first slot - sigh, Acer should have executed that better - along with the RAM - WHY oh WHY did you HAVE to put 16GB (2x8GB) of slow 2400 MhZ RAM in an inaccessible place of the laptop?).

I was potentially thinking of slapping Linux onto the 500GB SSD and have a dual boot option (one for W10 and second for Ubuntu and extra software).