Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Here's my TimeSpy score (at stock values).
    -81mV Undervolt doesn't work there if the memory is overclocked to 900MhZ.
    The benchmark hungs even at around -60mV... so I think I'd need to go lower than that for TimeSpy (possibly to -50mV or -25mV) - if I want to preserve the 900 MhZ memory OC.

It seems that TimeSpy is more capable of stressing the GPU properly since its end results report proper stock values in terms of core and memory frequencies. But I don't know why Superposition doesn't stress the GPU similarly in that case?

Anyway... I'll play around these tomorrow as its 3am here and need to sleep as I'm gonna help someone with work at 10am.
    Got carried away.

Attached Files:

• ts1.jpg
      ts1.jpg
      File size:
      395.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    crimson_volna, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Helios 500 on ebay for 750 new in box

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Item location:
    Taiwan, China
    Posts to:
    United States

I don't think that its a smart thing getting a new laptop like this without any warranty.
    If something goes wrong... what are you supposed to do?
    Ship it back?
    The import duties on getting a laptop overseas are quite large... and even if they shipped it to UK, the customs alone will slap the tax and import duties on top of it.
    Since its for now available for shipment to USA, I'd imagine import and tax duties would put it close to the original selling price in USA anyway, if not, then maybe up to $1000... or $1300?
    Which is certainly cheaper, but then you have to ask yourself if a lack of warranty is... well, warranted?

4. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Never had to pay duties yet, so i wouldn't know. Last product I got was 300 and paid no duties.

Also, warranties are merely a veil these days, as you know. And can careless about them when I just tell ebay it's broke and it goes back no questions asked unlike when dealing with companies where you have to threaten lawsuits for them to fulfill their obligations let alone a refund.

The bigger and better question is are replacement parts source-able. If not then it's a problem overall warranty or not. If so, then I don't care about the warranty, as I can buy a part myself and have it up in a week at most instead of having a paperweight for 1-6 months.

I understand that my opinion is not representative of all, but that's my point of view on the matter. Lastly you can get 2-3 year protection plans on ebay if my memory serves me correctly.

triturbo likes this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You do make a good point about returns being a lot better handled by ebay, but that raises the question... what if the product fails months or a year after purchase?
    Doesn't seem like it would be applicable for refunds in such an event.

As for replacement parts... lol, they wouldn't be source-able in all probability... and even if they were, they would probably be cost prohibitive.

6. TheReciever

Reputations:
    Your first point is addressed in the quoted post. You can buy 3rd party warranties for most items.

Replacement parts usually comes down how large the OEM is, its one of the reasons why I tend to stick to Dell, despite the issues I take with their practice.

7. Arog

Arog Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I'm wondering if this thing is going support Zen 2 right around the corner since it's a regular desktop socket. Anyone know? Can I just put a new Zen 2 cpu in this thing when the time comes. I wonder if Acer would create a bios to make it work if it was possible...

8. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nobody knows, simple as that. Notebook manufacturers tend to not support upgrading their machines as it adds complications when it comes to service and warranty plus spending money on development and testing without any immediate payback.
    I hope Acer will keep selling this model upgraded with a Zen 2 processor but if they don't it should be possible to modify the BIOS as the hardware should be compatible with a software update, how hard that would be is another question.

9. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  10. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations: