Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    On the power consumption... you can easily undervolt the Vega 56 using MSI Afterburner or even via Wattman (once you enable its functionality in drivers via MSI Afterburner).
    Plus, I'm pretty certain you can also undervolt the 2700 to a degree too... thus dropping overall power consumption, which could also improve performance somewhat (but I don't think its an issue in this unit).

As for DX11 games suffering on Vega... you don't really lose out on that much, and besides, Witcher 3 can run excellent on AMD hardware if you drop the Tesselation manually in drivers to 8x or 16x.
    Ryzen would benefit from dual-channel 2666MhZ low latency RAM in DX11 titles (that's probably why the performance is lower in some games - but again, not by a terribly large degree).
    Problem is, Acer decided to use slow speed RAM and populate the 2 slots that are impossible to reach unless you disassemble the entire unit - if Acer made a BIOS with better mobile RAM that's fast (and stuck with only 2 RAM slots that are easily accessible), the unit would perform better in DX11.

I think that AMD's Ryzen and Vega will definitely behave good and as far as I can tell from the reviews, the config is really quiet.

The only trade-off you're making is the absence of an iGP on AMD as 2700 doesn't have it - which is an issue if you're away from the power socket for protracted periods of time and want to use the laptop for simple stuff that doesn't use the dGPU, but otherwise, you won't really miss it.

Zen 2 will probably have a Navi iGP on it with some CPU's... but it remains to be seen if Acer will release BIOS updates for Helios 500 to include it.

2. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've only seen that on the Intel version, not the amd. I could use typhoon burner to make the xmp profile a jedec one but without verification that it will work I'm not going to basically void warranty on the ram.

I got gskill ripjaws ram, 3000mhz cl16, which is one of the better kits out there as it doesn't have super high latency at rated speed, unlike a lot of the other 3000 and 3200mhz sodimm kits (which are up to cl19).

3. bobzdar

Reputations:
    Maybe, you can possibly change the profile using typhoon burner on the stock ram and see if it works, but I'm doubtful.

4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Again, those modules won’t run at full speed in this system because 1) this system supports a max of 2666MHz and 2) they require XMP to run at full speed. If you want 2666MHz in this system, you have to get modules using JEDEC timings (2666MHz CL19) or the Kingston HyperX that runs at 2666MHz CL15 in PnP mode.

Papusan likes this.
  5. bobzdar

Reputations:
    They are xmp, not sure what you mean...

6. yrekabakery

Reputations:
  7. bobzdar

Reputations:
    Well, the modules I have only run at 2400, xmp profile is 3000. So not sure what the xmp profile has to do with it.

8. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    Because your system doesn’t support XMP and is limited to 2666MHz max. No XMP = 2400MHz. My Corsairs are the same way, difference is my system supports XMP so they run at 3000MHz CL16. That’s why the Kingston modules are best for systems like yours, as they do 2666MHz CL15 without XMP.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  9. ubersonic

ubersonic Newbie

Reputations:
    IIRC if you put the NVMe drive in the slot that the factory SATA SSD came in then the BIOS should see it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  10. tomasz.kwen

tomasz.kwen Newbie

Reputations: