Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You should be able to easily bump that to 2400 using ryzen master - I added a couple of no name 2400mhz sticks to mine and got it working 32gb 2400mhz cl14 without issue.

Deks likes this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Sheesh... were you the one who snagged that last one in UK from Ebay Currys?

3. ubersonic

ubersonic Newbie

Reputations:
    My bad I meant 2400 not 2133, didn't need to touch anything it just auto set to 2400 as it's what the stock RAM ran at to begin with.

No mate I got it of their site a while back.

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, at least you have all 4 sticks running at 2400MhZ in quad channel.
    Have you tried affecting the RAM speeds in Ryzen Master though to increase them to 2600Mhz?
    A word of caution if you do try overclocking the RAM in Ryzen MAster on Helios 500... someone apparently tried it and it messed up the system where they had to apparently reach for the motherboard battery to reset everything... however, I think they attempted to push the RAM well past 3000 MhZ (he tried going for 3200 Mhz actually)... so, its possible that 2600 or 2800 MhZ overclock might work (but one cannot be certain as laptop RAM is not exactly the same as desktop RAM, and who knows what kind of other BIOS restrictions Acer placed onto the RAM on Helios 500).

Ah I see.
    Someone snagged the last one off Ebay Curry store for £1614. Was a good offer, but I was hesitating and therefore didn't get it - I was actually waiting to get back a reply from Curry's themselves about moving the manufacturer installed RAM to the easily accessible slots, but alas, they never contacted me - this is mostly what delayed it all).

Right now, the only one available unit is on Amazon UK for £2000 (the only difference is 512GB SSD) and that's too expensive for me.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It’s 4 sticks in dual channel, as mainstream Zen does not support quad channel memory.

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I stand corrected, yes.
    Zen doesn't have quad-channel support.
    But oddly enough, on Zen+ desktop motherboards, people were able to get 3000 MhZ and above with 4 dimms... so, what's the big idea with Acer not providing at least 2800 MhZ to 3000 MhZ support with 4 sticks?
    More to the point, WHY did Acer go with paltry 2133 - 2400MhZ RAM?
    Don't tell me they have 0 clue about Ryzen Infinity Fabric needing fast RAM with low latencies to perform better in games at 1080p?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  7. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    The tracing/topology on laptop motherboards aren't as robust as on desktop boards to be able to support higher memory speeds. For example, the MSI GT75 and Alienware Area-51m have the same limitation, 4x2400MHz or 2x2666MHz. Clevo has the best motherboards, that's why their P7/P8 models can support 3000MHz+.

Papusan likes this.
  8. tomasz.kwen

tomasz.kwen Newbie

Reputations:
    Read this review:

https://diit.cz/clanek/recenze-acer-predator-helios-500-ph517-61-r54r-aneb-osm-jader-v-notebooku

The site is in Czech, but I translated the part into English:

"The board then holds only three screws, after unscrewing them we can free a pretty small motherboard and replace the first two SODIMMS. I tried a faster DDR4-2667 CL18 kit from Corsair, but it only works at 2400 MHz and even the Ryzen Master tool settings won't help. According to Acer, only DDR4-2400 memories are officially supported, but do not exclude or promise faster RAM support. Personally, I think it's a shame, because faster RAM can help Ryzen to get more performance relatively free."

I also found the same information on another page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/azzcsb/acer_predator_helios_500_the_beast_with_desktop/

"Actually i tried Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4-2667 kit and its locked on 2400MHz and even OC via Ryzen Master tool did not worked. I asked Acer about this and officialy only DDR4-2400 RAM is supported."

It looks like we can only run the lower clock - 2400 MHz looks like the only option.

9. yrekabakery

Reputations:
    That’s because the Corsair modules require XMP to run at 2666MHz, otherwise they drop down to 2400MHz. The Kingston HyperX ones I mentioned run at 2666MHz in PnP mode, and are also lower latency (CL15 vs. CL18).

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, however, the predator helios 500 with ryzen/vega is somewhat unique because it's all desktop hardware based. Even the motherboard is B450.

And as I said, Acer should have put in only 2 ram slots, not 4 if the topology is the issue. What possessed them do 4 slots (2 of which you can't even access unless you disassemble the whole unit?)

hmscott likes this.