Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Even if the CPU’s IMC supports much faster RAM, the firmware and RAM slot traces on the motherboard may not. For example the 8600K can do 4000MHz+ in a desktop, but in a Clevo anything much above 3000MHz is a crapshoot. From what I’ve seen, this system is limited to 2400MHz with all 4 slots populated, or 2666MHz with 2 slots populated. So your best bet are a couple HyperX 2666MHz CL15 modules as these run at full speed PnP. And keep in mind that half the slots are on the other side of the motherboard, requiring full disassembly to access, so it would be wise to ensure that the seller installs the factory 16GB module on the user facing side to facilitate easy upgrading.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can't say I know much about this, the most I've done with the RAM is reducing the CAS latency just to verify that Ryzen Master was properly installed. Did a quick search about a month ago to see if anybody had upgraded their AMD Helios 500 but didn't find anything solid.

A bit confused, are you going to buy the US version or the UK one? There have been a number of different configurations and AFAIK all European ones have one SSD and one HDD, mine have a 256GB NVME M.2 SSD and one 1TB HDD for example.

3. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @yrekabakery suggested I get 2600 MhZ CL15 RAM instead if I were to populate only 2 slots... but given the existence of 4 memory slots... two of which seem to be already occupied by 2x 8GB sticks underneath the keyborad makes this entire prospect of upgrading RAM less appealing in the first place because it would require disassembling the entire thing.

I was looking to get the UK version (which in the specs has 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD.
    So, it seems that the EU version indeed comes with a HDD too (which is good).

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Now that's a drag.
    So, essentially, the Helios 500 Ryzen should come with 2 RAM slots pre-populated, but they are located beneath the kb which would require full disassembly to get them out (which is a drawn out process considering how Acer decided to design the thing)... and if I just want to expand the RAM to 32GB (using 8GB sticks), getting faster frequency RAM would be pointless since the system wouldn't work on frequencies past 2400MhZ in quad channel?

Sigh... at this point, I'm seriously considering getting the Acer Nitro 5 with 2500u and RX 560x as a placeholder laptop until Zen 2 comes out.

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you need 32GB, I suggest 2x16GB of the HyperX modules. You mentioned the SKU you were looking at comes with 1x16GB of 2133MHz by default, so I suggested the possibility of having the seller install that single module on the user facing side, that way you can swap in the HyperX easily with just a bottom cover removal.

6. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Since its sold by Curry's PC world, I doubt they would do that (considering these big resellers don't really muddle about with doing something as 'customized' as that).... but I suppose it's worth asking.

EDIT: I sent them an inquiry about moving the RAM sticks, so I'll post back here once they reply.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  7. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I may grab some 3000mhz cl16 ram to test in mine - I've successfuly run 32gb (4x8gb) 2400mhz ram at cl14, so I don't think 2x8gb at 2666 or 3000 with slightly higher timings should be an issue provided the bios doesn't lock out speeds above 2400mhz. If it does, I'll return the higher speed ram and see how far I can push the timings on the stock ram.

crimson_volna likes this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I can't be sure, but someone on Acer forums also might have tested 2x8 GB 2666 MhZ RAM and that worked fine... however, I have not seen tests for 3000 MhZ dual channel.
    Would be good to at least see if that is supported (theoretically it should be, given that Ryzen+ shipped with that kind of BIOS support - unless of course Acer restricted speeds beyond 2666MhZ in dual-channel, which would be quite stupid if you ask me - then again, they should have ensured proper quad channel support for higher RAM speeds too given that at least on desktop quad channel DOES seem to work beyond 2400 MhZ).
    Or at the very least, Acer should have just given the laptop 2 RAM slots (on the easily accessed back side).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  9. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just ordered it (2x8gb 3000mhz cl16), so we'll see sometime next week.

10. ubersonic

ubersonic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got my Helios 500 from Currys, the listing of a 16GB stick on their site is about as accurate as their listing of AMD G-Sync support (AKA a typo), don't worry it's definitely 2x8GB, and they're under the keyboard. I added a spare 2666MHz 2x8GB kit to mine for 32GB (at 2133MHz) and it's running great :)

Deks likes this.