Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know - which driver version are you using? I've noticed large differences in power consumption depending on driver. If you're using the Acer supplied one vs. one of the 2019 AMD drivers, that may be the reason. Mine seems to top out around 118W, occasionally hitting 120 and I can see a corresponding small drop in clock speed when it does. It may also depend on the game, I haven't tried RE2 and it may push the gpu harder.

crimson_volna likes this.
  2. crimson_volna

crimson_volna Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm using the latest ones from AMD but it seems in both RE2 and Forza Horizon 4 gpu is pushed really hard. Performance is just not great when compared to stock cards; in both games I'm losing around 40 percent which is crazy to be honest. Though, I'm not sure if it is mostly because ram is so slow or card at 1230 is just not doing it. Most likely it's a mix of both. I just wish we could push it a bit further. Have you tried any GPU heavy games and see what power draw you get? Btw, thanks for a reply!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. Suzuki_Pro

Suzuki_Pro Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone seen this laptop for cheaper? It was around $1650 on Amazon and not I cant see it for cheaper anyway.

4. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think it's the slow ram, but i'm not sure. I run mostly vr on it and find the gpu utilization is in the 80-90% range, meaning it's somewhat cpu limited even at 4ghz all core. I have my ram at 2400mhz cl14 (stock is cl17), but no way to go over 2400mhz that I've found. Might be worth buying some 3200mhz laptop ram and testing, depends on pricing.

crimson_volna likes this.
  5. crimson_volna

crimson_volna Newbie

Reputations:
    I would love to buy new faster ram, I just don't trust myself taking the whole thing apart and putting it back together with no issues. Oh well, I guess maybe sometime in the future. I definitely will need more ram for work.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk