Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know - which driver version are you using? I've noticed large differences in power consumption depending on driver. If you're using the Acer supplied one vs. one of the 2019 AMD drivers, that may be the reason. Mine seems to top out around 118W, occasionally hitting 120 and I can see a corresponding small drop in clock speed when it does. It may also depend on the game, I haven't tried RE2 and it may push the gpu harder.

crimson_volna likes this.
  2. crimson_volna

crimson_volna Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm using the latest ones from AMD but it seems in both RE2 and Forza Horizon 4 gpu is pushed really hard. Performance is just not great when compared to stock cards; in both games I'm losing around 40 percent which is crazy to be honest. Though, I'm not sure if it is mostly because ram is so slow or card at 1230 is just not doing it. Most likely it's a mix of both. I just wish we could push it a bit further. Have you tried any GPU heavy games and see what power draw you get? Btw, thanks for a reply!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. Suzuki_Pro

Suzuki_Pro Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone seen this laptop for cheaper? It was around $1650 on Amazon and not I cant see it for cheaper anyway.

4. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think it's the slow ram, but i'm not sure. I run mostly vr on it and find the gpu utilization is in the 80-90% range, meaning it's somewhat cpu limited even at 4ghz all core. I have my ram at 2400mhz cl14 (stock is cl17), but no way to go over 2400mhz that I've found. Might be worth buying some 3200mhz laptop ram and testing, depends on pricing.

5. crimson_volna

crimson_volna Newbie

Reputations:
    I would love to buy new faster ram, I just don't trust myself taking the whole thing apart and putting it back together with no issues. Oh well, I guess maybe sometime in the future. I definitely will need more ram for work.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    After much thought I believe I'm likely to get this machine the next time it goes on sale.

If and when ryzen 3rd Gen comes out and it gets a patch to play nice then it would be really hard not to pick this thing up.

hmscott likes this.
  7. tomasz.kwen

tomasz.kwen Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. This is my first post here. I am from Poland, so my english is poor.

I want to buy this laptop - Acer Predator Helios 500 with AMD Ryzen 7 2700 and AMD Radeon Vega 56.

But...

I saw almost all reviews and unboxing videos on YouTube and everything i found on internet about this model.

Now I know that this laptop has 2 M.2 ports - 1 NVMe and 1 SATAIII so... this looks clear for me - I must buy 1 SATAIII SSD M.2. And then i change SATAIII HDD 1TB to 2TB SSD SATAIII.

So I will have:
    1. One M.2 SSD NVMe 256/512 GB - operating system, programs.
    2. One M.2 SSD SATAIII 256/512 GB - games.
    3. One SATAIII SSD 2TB - music, movies, photos, documents.

Will it work?

But what with RAM?

The man in this movie shows that he has 2 RAM sticks clocked at 2666 MHz. He tries to set this timing in the Ryzen Master program, but with no result. In my laptop there will be 2 sticks clocked at 2400 MHz and I wonder if I can buy better RAM with a clock of 2666 MHz, maybe even 3000 or 3200 MHz.

Has anyone run the higher clock speed in this laptop?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    crimson_volna and hmscott like this.
  8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Your SSD setup should work fine... but I'd sooner advise getting just 1x 512GB M.2 SSD and using it for OS, programs and games.
    Save your money to get another 512GB SSD M.2 when the prices go down.
    You can have a regular hard drive for music, movies, photos and documents. It would certainly be cheaper. than a 2TB SSD SATAIII (those are expensive).

As for RAM... the reason why the guy was unable to set his RAM timings is probably because the BIOS is locked - same thing happened on my GL702ZC (Asus locked the BIOS, and as a result, I couldn't manipulate RAM timings - but I could still undervolt the CPU).

In regards to buying a better RAM... given that 2600MhZ ram worked in GL702ZC, it seems likely that 2600 MhZ RAM dual-channel RAM will work in Acer Helios 500.
    Also, given that the laptop in question has a Ryzen+ in it, its possible you can use 3000MhZ RAM as well (though I cannot be absolutely sure about this - it should be possible for Ryzen+ to support it right off the bat, and we don't know if Acer released any new BIOS updates for faster RAM support).

P.S. According to AMD's website description of Ryzen 2700, it supports 2933MhZ RAM... so technically speaking, 3000 MhZ ram should work as the CPU shipped with that support from the start (but I would suggest you also pick the RAM with smallest timings as those can GREATLY affect gaming performance - even more than actual RAM speed - but generally speaking 3000 MhZ seems like a good range to shoot for).

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hey guys... I think I found one remaining Acer Helios 500 with Ryzen/Vega in UK... and the price is actually reasonable (£1614 - which is only £64 more vs what I paid for GL702ZC initially).

Now, the thing I'm questioning though is that in the specs, it says it comes with 1x 16GB of RAM stick (2133 MhZ), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD.

The RAM speed is awfully slow for Ryzen+ (which is undoubtedly what causes lower gaming performance at 1080p in some games and is further compounded by lack of dual-channel)... but I can upgrade that 2x8 GB 3000 MhZ for £148 from Amazon so that's not too big of a deal - and 3000 MhZ should work as Ryzen+ technically supports that.

My question is about the HDD. I noticed that the USA version doesn't have a HDD (just the SSD), but is that the case for the UK version if the specs say it ships with 1TB HDD?
    I mean, sure, I could buy the hdd in case the laptop doesn't have it, but that only further adds to the overall cost of the unit (which is something I want to avoid of course as I don't have money in spades).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    From what I recall in the thread it should include a bracket even if initially not installed. Also it seems that HDD and RAM specs are where the sellers seem to differ at times.