Acer Predator (Vega 56+Ryzen 2) Helios 500

Discussion in 'Acer' started by ThatOldGuy, Jun 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ah, I was comparing to the i9 version, in the case of the i7 it won't have any cpu advantage, even in games, as it only boosts to 4.1ghz.

This thing is over built cooling wise. Fans aren't loud with the stock curve which keeps temps to ~70C. You can turn the fans to max and then it does get loud, but temps drop 20C on both cpu and gpu. That's really only for overclocking, but does bring up one of the gripes with the system - no way to adjust the fan curve. You can run the stock curve, set it to max or set it to another custom, static value (50% drops the temps a few degrees without being too loud). Not a huge deal, but it'd be nice to be able to adjust the curve.

2. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd much prefer the Ryzen 2700 over a i7-8750H. The 8750H clocks are low and it's a locked CPU. The GPUs are a bit of a wash - the 1070 is cooler and more efficient but they should perform similarly.

I'd choose the AMD version out of those two for sure. An 8950HK would probably change my mind.

3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I wouldn't buy anything for the next 2 weeks. CES 2019 starts Jan 8; there is bound to be some interesting releases and announcements.

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @polbit

It's always the way this time of year, with CES around the corner and "normal" new laptop release cycle shipping new laptops in Late Feb - April.

Usually it takes a few months for the laptops to arrive after being announced at or around the timing of CES.

If you've been waiting for the after Xmas and New Years sales to get the laptop you've been jones'n for - you might be better off buying now and start enjoying that gem of desire right now.

It may take a good amount of time from announcement to release, and further time for drivers and software to fully release and fix performance and bugs usually seen at the release of new hardware - not to mention production issues to work out - and even more disruptive, hardware issues that need design solutions to resolve in later models.

If you've already been playing the long game waiting for prices to drop on your desired laptop, you might as well follow through and enjoy the pay-off from being patient, and be patient again for the new models later in their life-cycle.

AMD in laptops will also likely lag their new desktop CPU's / GPU's, and the long standing announcement from AMD for high performance GPU's / Navi is for the 2H of 2019, so that might still be the case.

Also, if you buy at the sales now, check the return policy - you likely have 7 - 30 days (or more) to return for full refund (or small restocking fee), so you could time it such that if some miracle arrives from CES you could return your long awaited bargain, and start waiting again. ;)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    undervolter0x0309 and Vasudev like this.
  5. bobzdar

bobzdar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After some more testing, I'd get occasional ctd's with the gpu set to 1500mhz in afterburner, so I dropped to 1450mhz which yields 1350-1375mhz in games and no instability, temps top out around 68C. I probably could get 1500 stable by adding a little voltage but then it'd hit power limits and throttle anyway. That's only 25mhz lower than a desktop Vega56 and the HBM is still running at 900mhz, which is 100mhz higher than a desktop card (same speed as a Vega64). Pretty incredible considering it's rated for 120W vs. 210W for a desktop card. It'd be nice if we could boost power some as there's plenty of cooling headroom, but given it's a laptop there could be power delivery (either vrm or power brick) issues if it's pushed much higher.

triturbo and hmscott like this.
  6. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Had a problem with the camera activating/deactivating all the time for instance when watching videos (youtube and locally). For some reason this stopped after removing the candy crush bloatware, maybe the uninstall forced Windows to correct some configuration?

Edit: More problems, the most significant is that headphones aren't generally detected as plugged in. Sometimes they are but most of the time internal speakers are activated instead - which isn't acceptable for my use case. Reinstall of the audio driver doesn't seem to help, I'll continue troubleshooting. Still an extremely nice machine, things like these aren't exactly uncommon when beginning to use a new computer IME.

Edit 2: Let Windows install a standard Realtek driver and for now the detection seems to work - but it worked sometimes in the past too so will have to wait and see... Camera on/off crap started again but is gone after disabling Waves Nx (!). Can't imagine why branded equalizer software have to access the camera but it may be Windows bugging around as usual.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Although googling it doesn't come up with anything, this video shows a new Acer Predator 5000 Ryzen + Vega model :)

AMD Acer Predator Helios 5000 Notebook Ryzen 7 2700 + AMD Radeon Vega 56 32GB DDR4 256GB SSD 1TB HDD
    Acer Predator Helios 5000 Notebook Ryzen 7 2700 + AMD Radeon Vega 56 32GB DDR4 256GB SSD 1TB HDD.jpg
    At about 01:00 into the video...

AMD Launch 2nd Gen Ryzen 3000 Series Mobile At CES 2019 !
    OWNorDisown
    Published on Jan 13, 2019
    AMD at CES 2019: Ryzen Mobile 3000-Series Launched, 2nd Gen Mobile at 15W and 35W to compete against the 15w and 35w Intel chips with integrated graphics. Combined with Vega graphics expect both better CPU and GPU performance plus also improved battery life.

8. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    At work so can't watch the video but only difference I see is ram size?

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    They don't break out much detail, it may be no change, or it might be an evolutionary change of some details, maybe there will be some comparison of specifications and hardware changes available at some point.

Also the name change is interesting, as the 5000 series is their desktop line, so perhaps Acer is trying to emphasize that the laptop has desktop components? That might be the only real change, besides larger RAM as a new model option.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  10. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing.

Either way it looks like they want to continue selling them so at the very least should expect support still. The launch was a hit iffy in this model but maybe the desire for it just wasn't as great as we thought outside of this forum.

hmscott likes this.